Unquiet Desperation
May 18, 2021, 02:06:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: To the Editor  (Read 16236 times)
John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« on: March 18, 2008, 08:19:45 PM »

Editor - why delete my comments made in the Arena in which i comment on yor fascist attitudes? i thought the arena was meant to be a place where "anything goes"? (except criticising the editor, obviously). you have deleted many of my posts, many of them harmless with nothing "controversial" in them at all. i guess power can even go to the heads of editors of "underground litzines," ey. wot a boring suburban middleclass place this is.

i'm bored with this shit anyway. delete this post once you've read it. see you later, loser.
mark np
Sir Isaac Newton

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:24:45 PM »

Fascist is such an ugly word.  We prefer "Democratish."  We take all of our readers' suggestions to heart, but final decisions lie with the magazine.  In any case, we hope to see your return John. 
Ploe
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:30:11 PM »

many of them harmless with nothing "controversial" in them at all.

Learn to write something with more substance, contribute something more than idle insults, grow up, and get over yourself. You pathetic whelk.
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »

I for one think John shoud be able to post wherever he wants - I don't think people really need protecting from John's views. Who cares if he calls some people's poems "shit" - usually, from what I've read, he's been pretty much right on the mark. And even if he isn't, or people think he isn't, then surely they should be safe in the belief that he's wrong/is a twat, and shouldn't have to be sheltered from his views. A lot of his posts are a lot more intelligent than people seem give him credit for. From what I've read, he doesn't just go around badmouthing people - he praises people as well, and I know when he praised one of my poems it was worth a lot more than other people's praise who seem to go round namby-pambyingly praising everything.

Ploe - "learn to write something with more substance?" His poem "old folks" is one of the best things ever posted on here, if you ask me. Why are you so sensitive, you pathetic whelk?

Anyway, I for one will miss him, and I don't agree at all with the way he's been treated. It's these people who are getting so up-in-arms about what he's been saying who really need to "grow up," as Ploe puts it.

That's all.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:59:53 PM by Tiny Montgomery » Logged

Now he's the King of Drunks, and he sneezes too
Watch out Lester! Take it, Lou!
Join the monk! And the C.I.O.!
Tell em all that Tiny Montgomery's coming down
To say "Hello..."
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:34:52 PM »

Oh - and I don't agree with this business of deleting people's posts, either. That scares me.

Well, I don't agree with this whole thing, actually - but I guess I've already said that.

To say "Hello..."
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »

and I don't agree at all with the way he's been treated

Well what goes around comes around, to say the least in his instance.  Just another anonymous, internet asshole...just like me.  I just assume if he doesn't comment on something I've posted, he didn't find anything to bitch about.  He's a better poet than I'll ever be, but he is still just another anonymous, internet asshole...just like me.

But I agree with you.  In the Arena, no posts should be deleted unless they violate TOS.  I'm sorry I missed all the vitriolic things I'm sure he spatted off about myself and my shitty poetry. 

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 08:49:31 PM »

and I don't agree at all with the way he's been treated

Well what goes around comes around, to say the least in his instance.  Just another anonymous, internet asshole...just like me.  I just assume if he doesn't comment on something I've posted, he didn't find anything to bitch about.  He's a better poet than I'll ever be, but he is still just another anonymous, internet asshole...just like me.

But I agree with you.  In the Arena, no posts should be deleted unless they violate TOS.  I'm sorry I missed all the vitriolic things I'm sure he spatted off about myself and my shitty poetry. 

I read the posts before they were deleted, and he didn't say anything about you. In fact, I used to enjoy reading you two's little spats, and from what I picked up from it it seemed more like friendly banter, I don't think there was anything malicious in it. (Though what he said about your tree picture was a bit out of order.) Anyway, I'm in danger of getting too caught up in this whole Baptist thing. I'll just register one last time my unhappiness/disillusionment with the way he's been treated.

To say "Hello..."
moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:55:17 PM »

well now, whats all this?

i like john, he's made me laugh more so far than any other posters.  i hope he comes back.  

and for the most part i agree with tiny on what he's saying.  however, the mods and editors seem pretty good on this board so far, and if what john is saying is true, then it was likely with good reason he was relegated.

was that substantially middle of the road enough for everyone?

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:57:35 PM »

u tell em, tiny!
moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 08:58:52 PM »

he's here!

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »

i am! i cdnt resist seeing if the editor had deleted my post.

un4tunately i cant even SEE any of the other boards, because i'm blocked. blooming disgraceful.

example of some of my messages that were deleted: i posted a poem, "she keeps a strange house," & replied to it, givin myself advice. i then replied to myself, thanking myself for the advice, and then i replied to myself, saying: "no problem." a perfectly harmless/humorous interchange that for some reason was deleted! WHY! i ask you: WHY!

another example: mark np threatened people with "the full extent of the law," and i made a joke about how "the full extent of the law" must be a kind of "no-win/no-fee" organisation, because u'd expect people involved with an "underground litzine" to be strapped for cash. DELETED! i then asked why a free publication should not be scanned free and passed around by people other than the editors, as surely that's the point, & will lead to greater exposure. DELETED! i then asked wot would happen if the people who wrote poems that were published in UD then posted those poems on here. i asked this in a perfectly nice way. DELETED!

these are minor examples. the worst thing i wrote was about willonia's tree thing, for which i hereby apologise, but the funny thing is that that post wasn't ... DELETED! why?

anyway, you should read THIS post wile you can, because tomorrow it will be - you guessed it ... DELETED!!
Ploe
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »

Looks like UD's own Minitru may be exercising their power.
moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »

lol you're trapped. 

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »

its not funny! it really is like being trapped in a little room all by yourself, while outside, you just know all the other kids are havin fun.
moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 09:15:07 PM »

Well, mark np "took your suggestions to heart."  the previous post you had problems with has been changed to this:

'If you need a back issue, ask the editor.  It's his call if previous issues will be republished, and we'd prefer that individual users didn't make illegitimate copies of the magazine.  To do so devalues existing editions, and infringes on the magazine's right to freely publish.  Thanks.'

Maybe he was just being hardline at first.

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
Ploe
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 09:17:07 PM »

Well the rest of the kids, as is true to life, are queuing to see your tantrum here. Outside is dead, because all the fun is here.
John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 09:19:46 PM »

well, that's better. if he'd have said that in the first place we could maybe have got into a nice friendly little debate about it, but to just delete the post as if it and i had never existed did, i must admit, make me feel a little invisible... obviously.

i've noticed the editor's online, with his scissors. come on editor, cut me if you dare!

Ploe
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »

If you don't have the heart to leave, stick about. I'm sure the rest of the community, like myself, will let you grow past it.  Grin
John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 09:24:18 PM »

i dont have the heart to leave. i have tried to be all blase about it, but i want to come back. otherwise i may be forced to stick about, & like a sad little child create my own little universe in this, the only unlockd room in the house.

& the editor has gone, & he didnt cut a thing! it's one small step for man, i know, but it's one giant leap for me.
The Tang
Marlon Brando

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »

Enjoy. It was fun to watch this historic event that will go down as "the day john wasn't edited" forever, unless the powers that be decide to edit this event from history that is (of course). Increase the peace brothers and sisters.
moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 09:30:54 PM »

well john, the real question is...

have you learned a lesson, or are you content to mope about in the dungeon?

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 09:35:06 PM »

that is a difficult question.  Grin

whenever i think im out of order, i apologise for it - as i have done in the past. however, a lot of the time i dont think i am out of order, just a bit heavyhanded, and im sorry that people DO think im out of order. so i cant promise that people wont think im out of order again, if im ever released from here.

that's all i can say at the moment.

a few more days in the dungeon tho & i may, as the whiny song goes, be begging you for mercy.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 09:37:28 PM »

these are minor examples. the worst thing i wrote was about willonia's tree thing, for which i hereby apologise, but the funny thing is that that post wasn't ... DELETED! why?

No need to apologize my good man.  I believe it wasn't deleted because you declared a winner, thereby offering your input.  Just a guess though.  BTW, did you finish No Country For Old Men?  I saw the movie and thought I must read the book, because the movie about put me to sleep with all the dialog and constant yapping, or it may have been the herb.  I thought it would be a pretty interesting book from what I paid attention to.   

John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 10:16:20 PM »

oh yes, i completely 4got about that - i thought the book was great, yes, & think you'd probably think it was even greater, as it's set in your part of the world. tho i suppose that might not matter. but it is very good. it's like a serious treatise on the state of america/the western world crossed with an old-fashioned crime thriller. has a very nice elegaic tone to it, & some absolutely beautiful passages of dry-to-the-bone writing. i havent seen the film yet but reading the book it seems it would be very hard to make a bad film of it - tho, according to you, they have succeeded - or else u actually were stoned to the gills, my good man. but it's very good, yes, & i heartily recommend it. i'm about to start reading "the road," tho at the moment i'm finishing "if on a winter's night a traveller" by italo calvino. ah, i miss my book club.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 10:56:58 PM »

It was probably the herb, but I'm no big movie buff anyway.  Many of my friends like it, and there were a few really good scenes now that I think about it. 

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: