Unquiet Desperation
May 18, 2021, 02:58:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of ability to edit posts.  (Read 5207 times)
Vix0r
« on: October 09, 2008, 10:53:41 PM »

Bloody double posting.

How about giving back members power over their own words?

I've heard it said you should get it right first time, that people should stick by their words and that editing is what the mods are there for.

So basically, whatever we type becomes property of UD. No compromise bar not posting, which goes against the point of the forum. Even if you ask the mods, they can ignore you and decide to keep it. It's theirs now. Don't like it? Tough. You're giving them their words and you have no control over it at all.

I see that as stealing. Stealing a right to control your own written word, and stealing the words you write.
Editor
Administrator
Charles Bukowski

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:06:03 PM »

Hey Vix,

This probably deserves a topic of its own.

Though the lack of ability for members to edit their posts is quite intentional, it isn't quite as sinister as you imagine. We've done this to try to encourage a little intellectual honesty in postings: too many forums are bedevilled by people that post then edit ad nauseam, effectively wrecking those forums as places where debate can be carried out with any degree of integrity. Why reply to a point when that point could be altered completely after you've posted? We hope that by not being able to edit, posters will be a little more careful when they post, in the knowledge that it has to stand.

In any case, members do have an hour after posting to edit, and we'll always look at cases where there's a genuine reason for editing after the cut-off.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Carpe diem,

Mike,
Editor,
Unquiet Desperation.
Vix0r
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 11:34:21 PM »

Yet on the joke thread when I wanted the last two Scottish jokes in my post deleted for being crap jokes, it was refused.

It was not editing what was said, merely removing some of it, and surely members are smarter than to alter their whole post rather than just making a small edit or a marked edit at the end?
Editor
Administrator
Charles Bukowski

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 11:41:54 PM »

Hi Vix,

I'm afraid I'm unaware of the incident in question. If you're unsatisfied, please raise the matter with the moderator in question, and if still unsatisfied then follow the steps outlined in the forum disputes resolution process.

However, if you'll permit me to say so it seems a pretty minor reason for editing... perhaps you'll have to sharpen your material in future. We'll make a stand-up out of you yet! Wink

Carpe diem,

Mike,
Editor,
Unquiet Desperation.
Vix0r
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:57:04 AM »

Heheh, not quite! =p

I was more trying to make a point though and would rather not have the other two jokes connected with my name. Although I do find the copper wire one very gigglesome... I'll take your advice. Cheers.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:50:13 AM »

Hey Ed, Hey Vix,

Don't believe a word of it ...with the imminent demise of Capitalim and the impending  global meltdown financially and paradigmally we must be wary of a New World Order harnessing our every thought word and deed for their own ends. Let's be careful posting on here.

Shifty lot one or two of those mods... I know these things.

Carpe Diem
Quid Pro Quo
Quod Erat Est
Deus Ex Machina

GOLDBERG
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: