Unquiet Desperation
May 18, 2021, 02:13:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UD must raise funds! How? Your opinion is needed...  (Read 17415 times)
Editor
Administrator
Charles Bukowski

« on: September 27, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »

The ravening cash-maw that is UD needs feeding, and it needs feeding with cold hard currency.

The question is, how shall we raise this cash? As you'd all imagine we have various maniacal plans in motion, but whatever happens some funds will have to be raised via this website. Since you use this site, your opinion is valuable.

Three main methods are envisaged at the moment:

1) Advertising. Banner and/or other ads placed around the site.

2) Special site area requiring subscription. An area of the site set aside for members paying a subscription, containing as yet unspecified cool things. What type of things should such an area contain?

3) Paid services. Members could pay a small charge each month for special services such as a UD eMail address, webpage or the like.

Which of these would you prefer? What are the positives and negatives of each? What would make each of them work? Do you have any other ideas not covered here? Money to help UD expand and spread our message of art for all has to be raised: as UD members your feedback is essential on how we move forward, so please be honest.

Carpe diem,

Mike,
Editor,
Unquiet Desperation.
Vix0r
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:43:30 PM »

A few well placed banner ads would do no harm really. I don't know if there would be enough members wanting to get "cool things" to subscribe and I really don't see the appeal of paying for updates and the like. It would split the site and make it a little less of a community.

Having ads, I assume, would mean you don't have to hope enough people pay to support the site and so long as there are no pop-ups or weird ones trying to install things then I for one am not too aversed to the idea!
timmy long
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »

I haven't been around for d summer up til a few days ago back from gigging around, after readind all this I concur with VixOr,,, and i'd b willing to make a donation,,, who ever can would put in a bit,,,well everybit helps I guess,,, anyway let me unpack and il get back,,, Mike the Editor so far you have been doing a good job.... t.long
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 03:35:01 PM »

I too agree with the add-banner idea!!!

Come Slowly Eden.
moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 04:12:35 PM »

if it weren't too much $$ having a good email address from UD could add a bit of professionalism to my writing when i send out for publication.

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »

adds.

perhaps, UD merch, too.  (like shirts, etc.)

another glowing exit sign and me with no way out
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 09:47:58 PM »

YES!YES!!

Come Slowly Eden.
Vix0r
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »

Wouldn't notebooks, pencils, pens and other writing materials or artistic materials be more appropriate?
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 01:02:48 AM »

i was being general (and cannot spell 'ads' when i type faster than i can think). 

of course things like that would be more fitting.  (but, i'd totally wear a beater with the logo on it.  lol.)

nauseamfromrum
Cicero

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 01:46:20 AM »

ud suspenders? i'd like nothing more than for my pants to be held up by some unquiet desperation
Vix0r
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 03:06:33 AM »

Suspenders are for holding up stock- aaaah wait. Manly suspenders and you're 'merkin. Got it, got it!

I thought that was a very bizarre request...
Ploe
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 08:28:40 PM »

Banner ads I can stand, merchandise I can not.
Pater
Galileo Galilei

Pressed wrong button in p'port photo booth...

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 02:40:15 AM »

The ravening cash-maw that is UD needs feeding, and it needs feeding with cold hard currency.

The question is, how shall we raise this cash? As you'd all imagine we have various maniacal plans in motion, but whatever happens some funds will have to be raised via this website. Since you use this site, your opinion is valuable.

Three main methods are envisaged at the moment:

1) Advertising. Banner and/or other ads placed around the site.

2) Special site area requiring subscription. An area of the site set aside for members paying a subscription, containing as yet unspecified cool things. What type of things should such an area contain?

3) Paid services. Members could pay a small charge each month for special services such as a UD eMail address, webpage or the like.

Which of these would you prefer? What are the positives and negatives of each? What would make each of them work? Do you have any other ideas not covered here? Money to help UD expand and spread our message of art for all has to be raised: as UD members your feedback is essential on how we move forward, so please be honest.

Carpe diem,

Mike,
Editor,
Unquiet Desperation.

Ads would be fine even if there's a sense of "selling your soul" about it. And, if you gave out an address, and only an address, not one of these pay by credit card/switch/paypal things which might taint the site beyond redemption, I for one would gladly post a cheque/postal order as a donation. Nothing extravagant but nothing mean-minded either.
Though I understand if enough wished to donate then online payment methods for donations might be preferred by them. But you'd still have to cater for those who'd rather post you something.
Editor
Administrator
Charles Bukowski

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 10:01:06 PM »

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. Your various thoughts and suggestions have been noted.

I'll leave this open for a few more days yet, so please continue the debate.

Carpe diem,

Mike,
Editor,
Unquiet Desperation.
simon nemeth
Herman Melville

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 04:50:53 PM »

Ads are going to be the only way forward. we all put our writting on here for fun and I for one would not pay to have my work submitted.  I agree that we don't too many pop ups and instalations which we don't want. I can have a word with boss and see if Morrison want to sponsor us but i for one don't want to known as a bettabuy poet.
sinister_miss_nancy
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 08:40:58 PM »

Merch seems like a good idea but won't they mean paying for them to be made or whatever in the first place?
Vix0r
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 10:06:09 PM »

How about badges? www.badgeplanet.co.uk is really good for that. I made my own badges for my bag when I couldn't find any I actually liked elsewhere. Good deals and free postage if you order more than four or something. Also they let you upload you image and see it in a representation of what the badge would look like, and you can add text and move the image untill you're happy.
Ploe
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 10:09:32 PM »

Isn't it possible to buy badge making kits from almost anywhere?
Flying_whizzabe
Arthur Miller

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 07:07:11 PM »

I would pay to be here, I really would.
Vix0r
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »

I had a suggestion ready last week but I remembered it now!

How about a book? A UD book, written by members and published to be sold in shops? Full of a selection of poems, prose, illustrations and such, with everyone credited.

I know the magazine gets published but this would not only make the site a bit of money, give members something to sit on their shelves, but also something to show off where they have been published in an official book sold in shops.

It's worked before for a website I frequent. It's on amazon and you may find the plastic wrapped yellow books in the humour section of shops. Or on my floor... (I have no room elsewhere, everything goes on my floor now).

Although, perhaps contributing members would have to get a cut for their work...
Vix0r
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 11:23:33 PM »

Aaaaagh, double post.

How about a raffle? More advantages than just a competition as tickets are bought providing money for the site, people have fun and a wee prize can be won.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 07:17:39 PM »

The official Unquiet Depseration BROTHEL......I offer my full services,purely in the name of this great cause o' course....

Come Slowly Eden.
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 08:41:35 PM »

brothel, shite--how about a stud farm?  lol.

Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »

Have you ever read about Catherine the Great Vixen ?
Vix0r
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 11:35:09 PM »

Apparently a few members have been discussing the idea of a book?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: