Unquiet Desperation
January 23, 2019, 04:31:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do YOU think it means ?  (Read 6319 times)
Mr. Goldberg
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:38:48 PM »

What do you think it means ?

How valid a response is this from a writer when questioned about his/her work ? I ask because it was said to me by major local poet when after the 15th verse I asked him what he was on about. I cringed when he said it. As I  offered about three different hypotheses he just smugly wordlessly nodded at each one.

Bob Dylan says it at some early press conference or other and it's one of those jaded lifted lines people use.

Is it acceptable ? It's like a  nuclear physicist when asked what that Hadron Collider does saying "...well..what do YOU think it does ?"    (ie you'll never guess or fully understand anyway so flounder away before my very eyes you scientific retard).

Another one is a writer saying ..."oh this one is self explanatory"....

('cos I'm like just so plugged into the Universe man with my shit and you're obviously not).

Perhaps both these belong in the "phrase that makes me wish I was dead" thread.

Should a writer like any other craftsperson be explain to explain and justify the function and purpose of his/her work or is it deemed acceptable for the artist to distance him/herself from his/her own effluence.

Like ol' JD Salinger...

But what do YOU think it means ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:57:52 PM by Mr. Goldberg » Logged
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:54:56 PM »

Should a writer like any other craftsperson be explain to explain and justify the function and purpose of his/her work or is it deemed acceptable for the artist to distance him/herself from his/her own effluence.

The bolded is a bit confusing.  Do you be, be able to explain?

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:53:20 PM »

Sorry . One too many explains. Written in haste and resentment of the memory...

Byt my typo erring aside....What do YOU think ?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:03:50 PM by Mr. Goldberg » Logged
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »

Don't think I have to explain shit.  If I write a poem about a guy that fingered himself for the first time, and people want to know if I finger myself, I ain't sayin'. 

But if you're looking for artistic attention, then maybe you need to come up with some bullshit explanation when people ask, "So why is your thumb brown?"

I got really drunk last night and I don't think it has worn off yet.

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Ploe
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 02:48:03 AM »

That sort of thing always gives me the impression the writer didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Incidentally I do love it when people misunderstand my poems, it adds a new dimension to the words.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 01:30:29 PM »

How about this one...

"...it's not not art."   

...pretentious moi
Ploe
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 01:46:30 AM »

How about this one...

"...it's not not art."

In what context?
Jay
Percy Bysshe Shelley

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 06:08:33 PM »

I think the sort of writers who say this are the kind who pen handsome bullshit and want to lend it a weight of enigma and/or credibility. Dylan#s agood example, a man who wrote lyrics like 'you used to ride on a chrome horse with your siamese cat.' Gorgeous, but meaningless. The only time I think that excuse is valid is when you write work that is laced with private allusions and you're goal is to make people attach their own meaning to it, and see if the two diffrent interpretations match up.
Jay
Percy Bysshe Shelley

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »

Wait! It was 'a chrome horse with your diplomat/who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat.' Which is even more impenetrable, but lovely nonetheless Wink
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »

How about this one...

"...it's not not art."

In what context?

Well years ago i saw one of those home made fly-on-the wall documentaries about eccentric nutters. This one guy had gone to Dallas to re -enact the  assassination - on himself ... seriously... dressed up and spoke like JFK, had his wife in  a pink suit , and had a limo repeatedly drive him past the book depository and slow down by the grassy knoll so he could  grasp his throat and flick his head... back and to the left...back and to the left...back and to the left - repeatedly - then slump into his wife's lap all kill shot dead and all.

Then he got out of the car and went into the Dallas museum inroducing himself as JFK who'd just been asassinated...

When asked why on Earth he was doing all this he said, "Well ,it's not not art and from that bewteen us maybe we can work it out together..."

Huh
Ploe
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 09:04:20 PM »

How about this one...

"...it's not not art."

In what context?

Well years ago i saw one of those home made fly-on-the wall documentaries about eccentric nutters. This one guy had gone to Dallas to re -enact the  assassination - on himself ... seriously... dressed up and spoke like JFK, had his wife in  a pink suit , and had a limo repeatedly drive him past the book depository and slow down by the grassy knoll so he could  grasp his throat and flick his head... back and to the left...back and to the left...back and to the left - repeatedly - then slump into his wife's lap all kill shot dead and all.

Then he got out of the car and went into the Dallas museum inroducing himself as JFK who'd just been asassinated...

When asked why on Earth he was doing all this he said, "Well ,it's not not art and from that bewteen us maybe we can work it out together..."

Huh

People are fucking pointless, I'm in the mood for a supernova. The star? Sol, of course.

That's obviously not art, just some sick fetish that twat suffers.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 12:15:33 PM »

That's obviously not art, just some sick fetish that twat suffers.

We've all been there.
simon nemeth
Herman Melville

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »

I think it's a cop-out when an artist or writer does not say/ does not know what their work is about. It just shows that there is no real feeling behind it and it's all just pretentious bullshit. That said I agree with Ploe that if people can make their own meanings out of a works then thats ok- as long as there is some meaning behind it. People often critise me for writing about myself and the world around me. Well what else can I write about? I only have my eyes.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 01:08:18 PM »

Only your eyes ? Your ears ? Your nose ? Your tongue ? Your touch ? Your mind ? How so few writers fully utilise the 5 senses. Or as David Icke once said ...not to mention the other 16....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: