Unquiet Desperation
June 15, 2019, 10:39:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BOOKSALE !!! Important Announcement for Yorkshire UD members  (Read 7310 times)
Mr. Goldberg
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:45:19 PM »

Anybody from Wakefield area who has been following the Wakefield Balne Lane Library Story please be aware that the Library will be having a sale all day this Friday 27th July regarding its stock clearance sale of over 2,000 books which will be selling at 50p per copy - any item. Many modern titles and a good deal of "antique" /Victorian volumes too.

On the first sale there were many books on poetry, poetry criticism, novels, short stories, literary biographies, etc. by many modern and classic  writers and many still remain. Books/DVDs/Videos on all other subjects too.

Anybody with a heartfelt interest in books should be aware this will be the last and only day of the sale the remainder may well be destined for a landfill site. Wakefield Balne Lane Library...Friday 27th July 2008  - ALL DAY . If you're not from Wakefield why not find it on the map and have a day trip !!!

DO YOUR BIT ....  FOR A FEW PENCE GIVE A FEW GOOD BOOKS A GOOD HOME*

...Take a Holdall with you!  Take two !!!

...they must be feeling as unquietly desperate as we are...

{Information correct at time of going to UD Messageboards}*
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:47:37 PM by Mr. Goldberg » Logged
Vix0r
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:44:04 PM »

Bugger...

If anyone sees Memoirs of a Geisha, any Sophie Kinsella books or even A Midsummer Night's Dream (I've always wanted to read that and see if it's as charming as the adaption with that lass who played Ally McBeal was) could they pick 'em up for me? They would be fully reimbursed obviously. And given a little cake.

EDIT: Friday isn't the 27th, it's the 25th.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:56:47 PM »

Get thy Ploe up theer ... he's doin' nowt on Friday I bet....
Vix0r
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »

I was hoping he'd read that to be honest =p

I'm not too bothered though. Sometimes it's just really nice to have the pleasure of browsing the shelves in a book shop to find the one I'm looking for, all new with it's crisp, un-wrinkled cover and shiny picture on the front.

Although some older books have a great smell. When I used to read old Enid Blyton books as a child the musty smell of the pages became lodged in my mind as he great smell of a literary adventure.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:49:02 PM »

Mmmm  now yer talking !!! I've got a collection of 1950's American comics with that lovely sweet scented musty aroma...quite sends me !!!

By the way folks ... Balne Lane Library update.... was told on Saturday that apparently the books (of which there are still well over 1500 left) are now selling at 10p a copy . That's right folks 10p. I did my bit and hulked back 24 volumes for aprincely 2.40 and nearly broke my back in the process.There's still lotsa poetry and literature left too. You can still pop in there ...upstairs floor. But a (what's the word for the opposite of donor)  is still required to save them from a fate worse than  lanfdfill.

Anyone got space for one thousand five hundred slightly used tomes ?
Vix0r
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 09:09:20 PM »

I'll get Ploe to drag me along when I'm down. There might be some I can give a good home too, who knows!
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »

I picked up a very in-depth accouint/biography of Byron,focussed mostly on his last days!!!

Come Slowly Eden.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »

Marvellous Dandy ...that's one less for the landfill...Me ? I got biographies on Coward, Lawrence, Isherwood, Lamb's essays of Elia and loads more besides  Smiley
Editor
Administrator
Charles Bukowski

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:26:14 PM »

Anyone that could pick up any of Montaigne's essays in English translation would guarantee themselves a place at the right hand of The Editor when the Kingdom of Literature is nigh...
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:26:46 AM »

Jesus I already have that somewhere in my dusty bookcases!!!

Come Slowly Eden.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »

Careful Dandy...hid name is Editor NOT Jesus.
Vix0r
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 03:12:25 PM »

Me and the Ploe trotted up there the other day and for whatever reason you now have to book an appointment to see the books with the librarian. They do have a small stand of books for sale by the door but nowt too interesting.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 04:00:44 PM »

Anyone that could pick up any of Montaigne's essays in English translation would guarantee themselves a place at the right hand of The Editor when the Kingdom of Literature is nigh...

It might not be the same, but you can just print them off the Internet.  That is if I have the right Montaigne. 

or this place: http://product.half.ebay.com/Montaignes-Essays-and-Selected-Writings-Bilingual_W0QQprZ146339QQtgZinfo
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:02:59 PM by Willonia » Logged

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: