Unquiet Desperation
March 19, 2019, 08:44:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you fear death?  (Read 27578 times)
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« on: July 15, 2008, 03:10:34 PM »

I do...not so much my own, but others around me.  I think the day you die should be the best day of your life, unless you're going to hell of course.  Any other thoughts on death? 

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Vix0r
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 03:18:20 PM »

I don't fear death, but I'm not looking forwards to the people I love dying. I'm not sure how I feel about myself dying.

It'll be interesting to see what really happens once our clogs are popped.
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:47 PM »

i have a hard time fearing anything because of the childhood i survived.  (really, what could possibly be worse?)

i never want to lose those i love--but i don't fear death.  i respect it.  it's a reward.  it's peace. 

another glowing exit sign and me with no way out
Ploe
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 11:25:43 AM »

Death is my primary fear. In death I may no longer exist, or I may not have been virtuous enough in life and will have to live in an existence without God, or I could be sat in Valhalla dining with the finest men ever to grace Asgard.

I also fear the death of my loved ones, because I need them.
Pater
Galileo Galilei

Pressed wrong button in p'port photo booth...

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »

author=Ploe
Death is my primary fear. In death I may no longer exist, or I may not have been virtuous enough in life and will have to live in an existence without God, or I could be sat in Valhalla dining with the finest men ever to grace Asgard.

I also fear the death of my loved ones, because I need them.

When I was younger, your age, say, I felt similarly that if oblivion was the endgame, then what was the point of being here in the first place. Consolation that you'd be remembered also being pointless as in the ultimate scheme of things the cosmos wouldn't exist - nothingness prevails.
Now I've moved on to the well-known philosophy of Woody Allen. That, it's not that I'm afraid of dying, it's just I don't wanna be there when it happens, and - I don't want to be immortalized by anything I do in life, I want to be immortalized by not dying (words to this effect).
Baptized a Catholic I'm a genuine agnostic these days. But just as genuinely, not because I'm hedging my bets.
Vix0r
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:32:20 PM »

Do we really need a point for existing?

Us humans are a curious bunch but we always need to have reasons and explanations. Why do the seasons change, why do we exist, what created this and that, what happens if we fiddle with the building blocks of life, why does it always get windy when I've brushed my hair? Among many other questions.

They say curiosity killed the cat but we're not cats. Still, just why do wee need to know? They also say never look a gift horse in the mouth (no, I'm not sure why I'm mentioning phrases either) and as far as I'm concerned existing is a pretty good pressie from the universe or unknown.

Death comes with the experience of being alive. If you don't want death, you don't get life and I think it's worth dying to experience being alive.
Ploe
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:52:31 PM »

I don't feel we need a point, but half the fun of life is trying to find one. Love, hate, sorrow, joy, that rumble in your blood when you're walking and you feel it. All very different experiences, but all worth experiencing.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:55:48 PM »

Fear of Death-no?
Fear of Ingonarnce-indeed

Come Slowly Eden.
Pater
Galileo Galilei

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 12:21:45 AM »

author=Vix0r
Do we really need a point for existing?

Us humans are a curious bunch but we always need to have reasons and explanations. Why do the seasons change, why do we exist, what created this and that, what happens if we fiddle with the building blocks of life, why does it always get windy when I've brushed my hair? Among many other questions.

They say curiosity killed the cat but we're not cats. Still, just why do wee need to know? They also say never look a gift horse in the mouth (no, I'm not sure why I'm mentioning phrases either) and as far as I'm concerned existing is a pretty good pressie from the universe or unknown.

Death comes with the experience of being alive. If you don't want death, you don't get life and I think it's worth dying to experience being alive.

As top dogs, so to speak, on this planet, I believe we're inherently programmed by evolution to ask all the whys. Feel duty-bound by it to do so. Not all of us but as a streak genetically throughout human beings as a race. More vitalistic in some, in the Bergsen sense maybe, but inevitably present from evolution so the whole group will benefit.
Vix0r
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 01:19:47 AM »

What's the Bergsen sense?

And yes, you're probably right. We'll have developed over-curiosity as a cat would have developed whiskers. Both beneficial, although curiosity is not as cute. Nor tickly.
Ploe
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 01:24:39 AM »

And yes, you're probably right. We'll have developed over-curiosity as a cat would have developed whiskers. Both beneficial, although curiosity is not as cute. Nor tickly.

Your post tickled me. And you're a product of evolution... or creation if you're into The Old Testament.
Pater
Galileo Galilei

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 02:52:51 AM »

I have a layman's interest and understanding of certain philosophers, Vix0r. The French philosopher Henri Bergson had an underpinning tenet to his philosophy whereby the world is dualistic, represented by life on one hand and matter on the other.
Life is a great force, a vast vital impulse ever climbing upwards from its very beginnings, and in conflict with matter which falls downwards. Life struggles to break a way through matter, learning gradually (as a an irresistible upward "motion") to adapt matter as a means of organisation, yet divided by the barriers it must meet into diverging currents (there's a quote I've read which similes this as: "like the wind at a street corner").
In a nutshell life is a vitalistic thing ever capable of adaptation and free activity. And "vitalistic" here is the Bergsonian sense of it as related above.
I hope this helps. And in no way am I trying to be grandiose here - just telling you what I know.
Ploe
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »

Life is a great force, a vast vital impulse ever climbing upwards from its very beginnings, and in conflict with matter which falls downwards.

You have to love these Philosophers. I've been musing on the same thing many sleepless hours a night recently, except I'm guessing that matter is the driving force forward and life is simply a byproduct.
Pater
Galileo Galilei

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »

Life is a great force, a vast vital impulse ever climbing upwards from its very beginnings, and in conflict with matter which falls downwards.

You have to love these Philosophers. I've been musing on the same thing many sleepless hours a night recently, except I'm guessing that matter is the driving force forward and life is simply a byproduct.

Yep, there's an evolutionary logic in that. After all, the primal soup came first.
Pater
Galileo Galilei

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 08:32:28 PM »

Hm, I suppose I mean "primaeval" soup. After all, I didn't see "Primaeval Scream" play on a Jonathan Ross repeat recently.
Vix0r
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 08:38:36 PM »

Speaking of evolution I just saw an e-mail linked to on the awesome B3ta directed at an athiest. The writer was against the "religion" of evolution claiming that not only does the bible say god created the world in six days, but if we evolved from "monkies" then why can't we speak to them, why are there still "monkies", that it would be impossible for them to evolve into humans as they don't live that long and that it's now called EVILution.

I admit a teehee escaped my lips. Surely it must be a pisstake? I'm not trying to start a debate on religion either, I just wanted to share the mirth.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 08:40:52 PM by Vix0r » Logged
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 02:28:14 PM »

The way I've understood it (which may be wrong) is that humans and present day monkeys evolved from the same creature, which happened to be monkey-like. 

And just a side note, I don't have the power because I have the monkeys.  I have the power because I will let the monkeys loose.   

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 04:18:02 PM »

Death ? What is it ? Old Uncle Barney used to say to me "Nat. One day it'll be time for death. Goin to meet yer maker. Joining the choir invisibule. Pushing up the daisies. Bereft of Life. Snuffing it. But should we care ? The beauty of death is you'll be the last person to know about it.

Let me tellya  a story 7 years old I was ...dentists chair...put under by nitrous oxide...laughing gas...I left my own body... saw me sat in the chair with attendant dentist and nurses at my side..round the studio I floated even saw the back of my own head. I believe the experience is known as autoscopy.

I remember feeling such  a wave of euphoria as I floated about and thought since then ...if that's death don't  be scared. Whether it was an NDE (near death experience) or a hallucination I'll never know but I think there's something out threre....

Having said all that I've heard interviews with real NDE people and they say all they heard saw was black
....so i dunno.
Vix0r
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 05:52:03 PM »

My gran died once when she was a young girl. She had an illness and appaently death took her. She had the tunnel of light and said she came out in a lovely garden with a stream, but a voice told her it was not her time and she woke up to her sister giving her a drink of water.
Pater
Galileo Galilei

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 08:57:37 PM »

Hm, I suppose I mean "primaeval" soup. After all, I didn't see "Primaeval Scream" play on a Jonathan Ross repeat recently.

Sheesh, now it's "primordial" soup, methinks. Maybe I've been 'ere before.
Vix0r
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 09:11:15 PM »

I think perhaps it's time to give up and just go for soup. =p
Pater
Galileo Galilei

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 03:58:54 PM »

I think perhaps it's time to give up and just go for soup. =p

Ahh. It's a start(er), I suppose.
Pater
Galileo Galilei

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 04:03:03 PM »

I'm not trying to start a debate on religion either,

Thank, well, Gawd for that. Toooo risky.

Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »

God and Death they always go together. Like fish'n'chips. Salt and pepper. Unquiet and desperate....
Vix0r
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »

Ahh. It's a start(er), I suppose.

Ha ha ha =p
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: