Unquiet Desperation
November 18, 2019, 10:59:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: "Art"?  (Read 20358 times)
Vix0r
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »

~sigh~

I'm happy with what I'm doing. I'm getting a website up (although exceedingly slowly), I'm working on illustrations, I'm doing well at uni. I'm pretty chuffed. But it's for me and I don't want to slam it in people's faces.

And yes, I aim to get some art up on here too. I had drawn a really ace profile of my sister in charcoal that, while looking nothing like my sister, I was quite proud of. However, I stupidly handed it in to uni without first taking a picture and now won't get it back until atleast September.....

Don't think I'm taking a dig at UD or any of you lot. I just don't like posters and I don't like that sort of scene. It can't be helped.

Also, I don't live in a city. I live opposite a field and at the end of a country road full of farms and cows and lambs and daffodils and chickens that roam free. It's really lovely. I can even see a windfarm up on the hills in the distant which are slowly turning round in the breeze as I type this. I'm not really a city person. I also get lost far too easily. My knowledge of Glasgow includes two streets, three if it's a good day.

So don't think I'm "sitting by and throwing rocks". I am not. Just because I don't post anything here doesn't mean I'm not doing things myself. It just means I don't want to share it with you lot or am being lazy.

So in conclusion, I still think posters are shit and hate the whole "I'm a spiffy wee <insert thing here> -SLAM- here's our ugly poster for the next thing that you must go to but I won't clean up after myself" thing. It's not going to change.
GhostofKidneyStonesPassed
Marlon Brando

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 03:42:15 PM »

So in conclusion, I still think posters are shit and hate the whole "I'm a spiffy wee <insert thing here> -SLAM- here's our ugly poster for the next thing that you must go to but I won't clean up after myself" thing. It's not going to change.

Have you ever heard the comedian Mitch Hedberg.  He says when people come up to him and hand him fliers or posters advertising something, what they are really saying is "Here, you throw this away."  Maybe you have to hear it to be funny. 
Vix0r
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 03:48:38 PM »

No, I haven't but it makes a lot of sense =p

Going reasonably back on topic, who do you think have been influential artists then? What revolutionaries do you guys respect for their contribution to the art world?

I'll say Mucha. He said he didn't bring about Art Nouveau but he certainly made an impact and a name for himself. His style is absolutely wonderful, and I can't help but appreciate what he did.

I'll also go for da Vinci. He was a wonderful wonderful man, far ahead of his time. His inventions, his wonderful drawings and paintings, his exploration into how the human body works by cutting up dead criminals...

I'm sure there will be others too! ~gets excited~
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 04:27:05 PM »

I agree with da Vinci and would add Michelangelo, but more recently Bill Hicks, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Alex Grey, Dali.  I'd say most importantly Albert Hoffman.   

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Lillie Helvin
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »

The greatest artistic movements in history were sparked by NEW ideas

think about contemporary artists now- take tracy emin for example. she is probably not somebody you have any respect for and not someone that you feel you can learn from, as i have heard many say, but she is doing things that haven't been done, and that's why she has got big. that's why she's got into these pretentious galleries. who the fuck has ever stitched all the people's names into a tent that they've slept with? she took an element of the women's gender cast, sewing, and turned it into her perception of her own place as a woman.

although you may not feel you can learn from that, it is new.
Vix0r
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 10:51:14 PM »

Though it's not exactly saying alot if all someone can think of that's new is stitching some names into a tent....

Other strange pieces of modern art I have seen: a large block made of white bricks on the floor, masks of heads hanging from the roof, a messy bed, an apple, a large wall with alot of names written on it, a blob of bluetack shaped as a square with a piece of masking tape underneath it.

I bought a tent this week though, it's lovely.

Apparently Michaelangelo only washed once a year and when taking his clothes off they had started to stick to his body. A bit icky, but hey ho! He made nice statues.

However.... was he not also the competitor of da Vinci? If memory serves me well. As such, down with Michaelangelo! Da Vinci forever!
samuel
Sir Isaac Newton

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008, 01:08:01 AM »

sorry to go off tangent a bit but I think this needs to be seen.. this is what I'm talking about, new ideas...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uuGaqLT-gO4&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/uuGaqLT-gO4&rel=0</a>

I'll edit this post in a bit with something more relevant.. but right now my mind is seaping through the pores in my forehead.
Ploe
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008, 04:40:09 PM »

However.... was he not also the competitor of da Vinci? If memory serves me well. As such, down with Michaelangelo! Da Vinci forever!

Not sure, but rivalry is always healthy. Spurs you on to do greater things.
Lillie Helvin
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008, 06:18:39 PM »

Vix0r,, the messy bed was a self portrait.
Vix0r
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2008, 11:36:18 PM »

Still doesn't make me like it any more than I did before =p
Ploe
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 09:52:15 AM »

Has anybody else done a poster design yet? I'm eager to see some output.
samuel
Sir Isaac Newton

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 03:02:19 PM »

I'll crack one out in a bit
Vix0r
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 03:36:54 PM »

Perhaps the poster idea should have it's own topic, no?

I'm really interested to see peoples thoughts, ideas and opinions on all the art things, even if it turns into a thrilling debate about why messy beds are wonderful/awful art.

It's the only topic so far that gets me excited to the point of a huge grin being plastered on my face. So yeah, stop distracting people.
Ploe
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »

True, but my domain is The Mob, so I can't exactly split the topic to make a poster thread can I? But yeah, let's discuss why there should be revolutionaries in art, and the other lark.
samuel
Sir Isaac Newton

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 11:58:24 PM »

The same reason there should be revolutionaries in any field, without someone pushing the boundaries (not always in the 'right' or 'just' direction depending on which side of the fence you choose to hide) there is no progression, noone to challenge the 'authorities' or the leaders of the artistic hierarchy..

Luckily we live in an age where anyone can aim high and actually achieve their goals, back when leonardo, raphael and the likes were knocking about they were like the superstars of their day with hundreds of people working behind them..

Now we're unlucky enough to live in an age where it's possible to drown in the amount of free roaming unrestricted talent it's hard to make a mark

it's almost a catch 22
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »

Not sure, but rivalry is always healthy. Spurs you on to do greater things.
[/quote]

Didn't Adolph Hitler say something similar ?
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2008, 01:44:53 PM »

Did Stone Age man take art as seriously as we do ... did he need to ? Once he'd got through the day spearing the beast and feeding the kids...scrawling it on the wall was probably last thing he did before he got his head down...nothing else to do if the shops were shut or nothing on TV. Rather like golf which began as a crude game played bewteen shepherds to pass the time with any old bit of wood and a few pebbles...it is now a sophisticated pursuit played with carefully calibrated irons and woods to rich fat Sunday Golf cOurse types
samuel
Sir Isaac Newton

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 08:06:38 PM »

Often alot of the cave drawings had alot more meaning than just scribblings on the wall, in some cultures they were/are used with a 'sign post' type function and quite alot of cultures believe that they actually possess a form of power and use them to 'keep in touch' with their ancestors and history...

of course a lot of it is speculation, but I think that drawing soley from boredom is slightly obnoxious, could be argued that it was more for documentation/decoration with a function..

just my thoughts though..

edit: I remember watching a documentary on the art of the aboriginal people in australia, and cave art/paintings have always been an integral part of their culture, almost as important as feeding your family in fact..
Ploe
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »

Artists are no longer documenting, they're simply creating. Excreting mindless dumps of sound or colour. We the human race, the long term memory of this planet owe future generations better than the bollocks we're suckling on now!
Vix0r
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »

I completely disagree!

Without life and all it's wonders we'd have nothing to influence our creations. All creations, even if they're awful and far too obscure, are documentation of that individuals experiences whether they know it or not.
Ploe
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »

All creations, even if they're awful and far too obscure, are documentation of that individuals experiences whether they know it or not.

Precisely, don't we owe future generations more?
Vix0r
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2008, 08:30:35 PM »

No, if anything, we owe ourselves more. Screw future generations.
Ploe
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »

But I'm sick of peoples' piss poor songs about bitches I don't care about, photographs of people snacking in fast food restaurants or setting fires in parks. I'm sick of everyone thinking everything is art, because quite frankly it aint. Art is when someone takes something already beautiful, chews it up in their fucked up head and spits it out as something brilliant. That's not happening anymore...
Vix0r
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »

Look harder.

And without all the shit, how would we know a good piece when we saw it?
Ploe
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2008, 09:42:41 PM »

Look harder.

And without all the shit, how would we know a good piece when we saw it?

If it weren't for those distracted by the bullshit, we'd not be as special.

Heh heh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: