Unquiet Desperation
March 23, 2019, 05:20:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: People that post their own poems but don't comment on those of others.  (Read 23909 times)
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 04:15:05 PM »

I think with writing the writer can get so self involved  the  writer  cannot see it from the outside or how it will be received.

I have this problem if I'm writing anything with a little length to it.  I'll read and reread it looking for ways to make it better, but sometimes I lose my ability to perceive what I'm reading, if that makes any sense.

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »

One of the first things I ever read about writing is that we can all shpeel off 90 pages on our inner thoughts/demons/confusions...however achieving that accessible simplicity is what's difficult. Editing it all down to 10% of the original...laying out your shop front. When you look at a shop frontice you don't consider the grubby warehouse behind it...I think it's the same with writing...setting up your stall. Enjoying a magic moment at a Rock Concert one doesn't think of all the man hours gone into wiring, hulking amps and scenery about, rigging up lighting and sound sytems etc. etc. Because it's boring. Yet necessary.

I understand Dylan's original version of "Times they are a' Changin'" is about 32 verses long but it was cut, pruned and pared down to a minimalistic 3 mins.

The end product being somehow greater than the sum total of the parts. My cake analogy:

Flour, Eggs, Milk, sugar, cocoa powder, , salt, cream, butter - individually nothing special yet when mixed, melded and blended together and treated (baked) the properties change resulting in that exceedingly grand illusion of the Chocolate Gateaux.  Ask Mr. Kipling....
Ploe
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 08:40:10 AM »

Nat, you and your cakes. Next time I see you, you best not be chubby.

Writing should be accessible. How is the writer supposed to proofread it otherwise?
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 01:29:14 PM »

"You can unwrite what you've written. But you can never unbake the cake"      - Nat Goldberg .   
Ploe
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »

Yeah but cakes are for eating, and writing is like shitting.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »

Here in the states, we have the horse-of-a-female, conservative editorialist that calls all liberals godless.  She wrote a book called Godless Liberals, and sadly enough, it has sold quite a few copies.  This leads me to believe there is a large portion of the population that thrive on the hatred of those who don't accept faith as the truth. 

But back to topic, to hell with people that are only here for all of us to bask in their literary genius.     

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »

But back to topic, to hell with people that are only here for all of us to bask in their literary genius.     

Love that line. There's something very cerebrally masturbatory about TS Eliot - good as he is -  a lot of his stuff is oh so fabricatedly "clever-clever" it seems he set out to write to show his Oxford Don mates how clever he was at being clever. Four Quartets ? Fork handles more like. Indeed. 
ahazura
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 06:58:11 AM »

Well they are a minor pet peeve of mine, but it won't stop me from posting or commenting.
simon nemeth
Herman Melville

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »

No I think you'd need to be bound and gagged for that to ever happen eh Azzy ?  Wink
ahazura
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 04:41:09 PM »

yes you are probaly right in saying that, even in that scenario I'm sure I can let out some sort of whimper...
sinister_miss_nancy
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 07:56:49 PM »

I like to post my own work and comment on other peoples, and also follow certain posts to see others opinions of them as Im sure most UD members do...but, and I don't think im the only one with this opinion, on posts with maybe 15 comments only 2 of those are ACTUAL feedback, the rest being a disagreement between two members ongoing from quite a few topics- I belive it was Ploe(sorry to drop you in here) that said it best on one of his poems-  "I thought I'd got a load of feedback. Can you cats argue on someone elses poems?"  Undecided
Ploe
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 06:02:45 PM »

This bard's ego is always stroked. I love to be quoted.
Jay
Percy Bysshe Shelley

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »

Yeah but cakes are for eating, and writing is like shitting.

True. You can't really do anything else with cakes.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 01:31:05 PM »

You never resorted to eating a manuscript then in purple rage ?
Vix0r
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »

Sometimes I eat my revision notes if I'm bored...
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »

Oh dear Vixor...don't think Ploe's feeding you properly..
simon nemeth
Herman Melville

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »

isn't it worse that soe people on here comment on others work but do not post any writting themselfs? That's just backseat driving and irrates me
ahazura
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »

How about any comments at all, only a select few comment on posts...see I'm for all of it, criticism and the occasional "I like" "I hate" whatever... but really if it weren't for posting this forum would be dead
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »

Every forum needs posters. Unless the posters are dead.
ahazura
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 03:31:48 AM »

Every forum needs posters. Unless the posters are dead.

Yes, very true. Ok then the posters that post their work deserve more feedback and I'm surprised of lack thereof.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2008, 03:53:57 AM »

absolutely indeed and indubitably which is why i take pains to attend to you Ahazura as diligently and as often as I can...what time is it there by the way ?. You're up late.

And by the way don't talk to me of non response - you of all people - the amount of stuff I've put up here for zero feedback. I may as well talk to a plantpot - i notice your comments on others' work rarely goes beyond a single usually customary standard sentence.

Bit of empathy doesn't hurt. Or manners if you please. Thank you very much indeed.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:09:57 AM by Mr. Goldberg » Logged
ahazura
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2008, 04:38:03 AM »

Now, now, your comments have not gone unnoticed by me, I just only respond to a couple of them if they are in the same time frame. I will try to do much better in the future. Excuse the lack of manners but no lack of empathy since now that's its brought to my attention I shall be remorseful for past responses that were never posted.
And yes I do keep my feedback short and sweet but I do offer it.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2008, 04:46:02 AM »

Interesting response to a not unentirely pre orchestrated and  provoked retort on my part...good...good.

Ahazura...may I be so bold as to ask..in which time frame exactly do you or does your writing operate ?  Past present or future ?

likewise your partner upon whom you write...do you both actually exist in the same time frame ?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 05:16:04 AM by Mr. Goldberg » Logged
ahazura
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »

Interesting response to a not unentirely pre orchestrated and  provoked retort on my part...good...good.

Ahazura...may I be so bold as to ask..in which time frame exactly do you or does your writing operate ?  Past present or future ?

likewise your partner upon whom you write...do you both actually exist in the same time frame ?

Interesting? That's all? Is that like the one line customary response of mine you decided to borrow from? Hee! Hee!
Well some have been of past memories of feelings strong enough to make it from the past to the future which when when remembered was present tense. In all seriousness though some are of the past when I was with my present partner and alot are present or recent events, feelings, emotions, thoughts, time occupiers and the like and yes "we" exist in the same time frame but not always the same mind frame. The he is always the same and about my husband before he was my husband and currently now that he is. I have written a couple of pieces about a particular fellow who I only have ideas of, is he real, does he exist? Well surely he must if I write of him, yet why would I and what would I have to say to him? Well excuse the outloud outburst of thought coming forth through my post. Mind is busy this morning. And you never did answer my question. You know the one. Future, Haven't much written about that.

Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 06:41:15 PM »

Now that is interesting (engaging, awe inspiring, quaking into dimensional breakthrough)...you may be referring to your cosmic other...the one you have yet not yet met.

Yet.

Sorry which question haven't i answered ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: