Unquiet Desperation
January 29, 2020, 09:40:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your town... do you fit in as a writer or artist?  (Read 4906 times)
carter
Gladiator
Cicero

« on: January 29, 2008, 01:00:20 PM »

Following on from something Dare said in another thread, I wondered how board members feel about their own town, city, village, neighbourhood or whatever.

Do people welcome you because you're not just interested in getting wasted and watching football (either type), or do you feel like a copmlete outsider?

Furthermore, does this or should this matter? Some of the best writers have felt like outcasts where they lived and where they grew up, but is that level of alienation necessary, or even desirable?

Living in a university town it's not so bad, but in the small town where I was born I got constant trouble just because I didn't want to go and hang about the shops for no reason, and because I actually (shock) like to read.

Still, I take comfort in the fact that most of them now are either unemployed or working at KFC.

Carter.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:31:03 PM by Editor » Logged

Carter 4 Maxxie Oliver
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »

Generally i dont fit in but theres a good group of us that gathers...poets,atists,musicans,

its brilliant

xxx

Come Slowly Eden.
Mew
Michel de Montaigne

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:09:42 AM »

Yeah, you have a point here. I don't always have the energy to try to convince someone who's an obvious idiot not to be one... but it just feels wrong to not even try, y'know?

I'm interested in you saying they do it to mock you. Really? That's pretty tough. Assuming that because you're interested in literature, music, the arts etc that you don't exactly fot in where you live?

Carter.

Even though it really doesn't hurt to try to open the eyes of others, there's a sense of overwhelming excitement when you find out about something artistic all on your own, such as stumbling onto a new song that in just one listen, instantly becomes one of your favorite tunes, or judging a movie before seeing it (or not), and then you take the time to watch it, and you're sometimes unpleasantly surprised as to how it relates to you in a semi-strong way or another.   

Unless you give yourself some time to really take a look around, you're just missing out.  It saddens me to know that long after I die, I'm going to be absent from this earth to hopefully find more music to love, more movies to somewhat place things in perspective (even if only for a day or two), or more inspirations, good or bad, for me to write and/or sing about.

Simply put, you've got to take in as much beauty as you can, either before it dies, or you die.

Mew (euthanasia)
Mew
Michel de Montaigne

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 12:12:52 AM »

As far as THIS thread is concerned, if I were focused on fitting in with my overall general census of population where I'm at....I wouldn't have any part of a poetic/arts forum.  Instead, I'd be out getting drunk off Budweiser and trying to score with non-attractive females.  I do have my share of friends in which share a somewhat "artistic" view on things in life, but it's nothing like my visions on art, and just how I see this world sometimes.

Budweiser is disgusting....hell beer period is disgusting.

Vodka anyone? Smiley  Don't answer if you're underage Smiley

Mew (euthanasia)
Abi
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:28:36 PM »

good thread idea here. I live in this small town, accompanied with small minds. It's really awful. It's like they haven't shifted as the world has, their eyes are pierced with judgmental eyelashes. When i was around 15 me and my friends would get chased all the time and stuff thrown at us because some of the boys had longish hair and carried a book. However im lucky enough to have found some amazing people underneath the dirty fingernails of the place and surrounding areas. It kinda makes it more rewarding and i see the place i live in as a motivation to strive for something more and get out of there. 
nell8090
Forum Staff
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:05:46 AM »

right now i live in a town outside paterson.
stomping grounds of
williams and ginsberg.
not to mention, NYC.

so i feel that i fit in quite nicely.

moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:26:21 PM »

i get along well with the artists and writers here; they all know me, i know them.  i wish we collaborated more, but yes, i fit in nicely (as nicely as an alcoholic sociopath can, anyway). 

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:53:35 PM »

Deep south dweller here.  I hated it pretty much until the last few years, and still I only enjoy the Valdosta area, the city in which I reside.  We have a mall, so our downtown area was crap for a while.  But lately we've had people come in and invest some dough in reviving it, and they're doing a fantastic job.  There's a great music scene...I lived with guitar players all though college.  One of them is an Allman Brothers fanatic, the others were into the whole punk scene.  Being a recluse, I've only recently met several poets and lyricists from around my parts.  We're forming groups and trying to share something meaningful.

I think, therefore I'm lost.
The Nose
Marlon Brando

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 06:52:40 PM »

Let me put you onto T.S Eliot's essay Tradition and the Individuial Talent - you can probably read it online if you look around.

It's really on the button... says that the artist has to remove himself from the immediate context (place, society, occupation) in which he lives to connect with more timeless / more fundamental values...  Eliot calls this 'Impersonality'... for him the [modernist] artist must vacate the merely ephemeral time and space in which we’re located to put himself in touch with the Godhead...

The artist must remain aloof from his work in the same way that god remains aloof from creation...
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:33:19 PM »

Let me put you onto T.S Eliot's essay Tradition and the Individuial Talent - you can probably read it online if you look around.

It's really on the button... says that the artist has to remove himself from the immediate context (place, society, occupation) in which he lives to connect with more timeless / more fundamental values...  Eliot calls this 'Impersonality'... for him the [modernist] artist must vacate the merely ephemeral time and space in which we’re located to put himself in touch with the Godhead...

The artist must remain aloof from his work in the same way that god remains aloof from creation...

I will definitely read that.  I have various measures to try and escape from my creative prisons, be it thru hallucinogens or being alone in the country.   

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Ploe
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »

I'm not a cog in the counter culture 'round these parts. Afterall the alternative scene still expects something of you, but a handful of men and women with a streak of artistic fibre do seem to roam in the circles I'm in.

S'pleasant.
-ConclusioN-
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 12:07:38 AM »

Football is my life and i always try adapting, i get noticed alot because my style of play is unique and differnt to others.

Quote from: MalcolmX
You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: