Unquiet Desperation
November 30, 2020, 07:44:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Wotchoo Readin ??  (Read 55109 times)
Ploe
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2008, 07:27:04 PM »

Memoirs of a Geisha. It's really well written and addictive.

I love how when I read a good book I'm not reading, but entering a whole new little universe. The words blur and I see it all played out in my mind.

Yes I love that feeling too, but I'm one of those gimps that realise that during reading and I remember the words are there. Sometimes I can daydream over huge chunks of chapters too and I have to re-read them.

touche'

It's touché, squire. To accent the é just hold down Alt Gr, and press the letter e. Also works with á, í, ó and ú.
Vix0r
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2008, 08:32:04 PM »

Yeah, I daydream over bits too. I usually take that as a sign to put the book down for a bit.
Vix0r
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2008, 01:52:48 AM »

Where are the edit buttons? Every forum should have these as mandatory and I know they were here before. What about spelling mistakes or adding extra comments on to a post? As they have been removed I am now forced to do the despicable act of double posting. Please excuse me.

/grumpy

I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha the other day and had to post. It is a wonderful book. One of those ones that sucks me right in, chocked full of detail and life with characters so realistic you feel as if you know them, and the effect of making me ponder about it long after I'd finished.

It's straight up there on my metaphorical shelf reserved only for my most favourite of books, of which there are not many that meet the hard criteria. True I have a lot of books I love but this is one special shelf.

EDIT: There's an edit button on this post now but seemingly none of my others, including the one right above. Eh?!
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »

It's touché, squire. To accent the é just hold down Alt Gr, and press the letter e. Also works with á, í, ó and ú.

What's Gr? 

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Ploe
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2008, 04:01:10 PM »

There're two buttons alt buttons on a keyboard one says Gr. I can't remember what that means. It's the right alt key on my keyboard.
Vix0r
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »

Maybe it's the more agressvie one. Grrr.....
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2008, 06:11:25 PM »

Each time I hold down either Alt button and then press e it brings up my Edit menu.  Might my American computer not be programmed to add the accent, or am I just missing something? 

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2008, 10:32:26 AM »

Thomas Mann-Death In Venice
Borrowed it from Tim G.
Fuckin' amazin'
Who Ever said pederasty wasn't cool?

Come Slowly Eden.
Ploe
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2008, 02:44:58 AM »

Each time I hold down either Alt button and then press e it brings up my Edit menu.  Might my American computer not be programmed to add the accent, or am I just missing something? 

You fuckers just had to jump the pond and make your keyboards shit, didn't you? Ah well... Carry on using your apostrophe, I shan't pick on you.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »

Thanks, and I shant pick on fish and chips, or something.

BTW, I just finished Factotum, and the last chapter (and especially the last line) is pure fuckin' genius.  About to start Mother Night by Vonnegut. 

Vix0r
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2008, 02:26:26 PM »

Dinny you tease the fish and chips! Our chips are delicious. Especially with a bit of vinegar and salt. Mmm.....
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »

I've actually always thought fish and chips sounded lovely.  Are they fried?

Vix0r
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2008, 07:33:51 PM »

Deep fried, the fish in batter. You can get fried vegetarian haggis at a chippy in Oban. It's lovely, really lovely.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2008, 12:59:07 PM »

Just thought I'd start a book thread... just re- read Cogs in the Great Machine .. by Eric Schlosser fascinating account of the meat industry in America with all its machinations and corruptions...quite shocking. It will put you off meat for life.

Also Leslie Philips Autobiography " HELLO !"  v. quaint, v. British, v. charming...ding dong carry on !  Kiss
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »

About to read Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk

Vix0r
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »

I've been reading some cracking books lately! As I said before Memoirs of a Geisha is amazing. I just finished Catch Me If You Can by Frank Abagnale (whose ghost written memoirs were turned into the film of the same name) and it's spiffing. I know alot of it will be exagerations but it's cheeky and humourous and detailed and brilliant. What a man. I bought and started Gulliver's Travels too which I'm thoroughly enjoying and am still reading Chloe (another much loved book) and one of James Herriot's (one of my favourite, if not my favourite, authors) books I forgot I was in the middle of.
Null
Global Moderator
Sir Isaac Newton

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »

Wothcoo Readin ?? and John's Book Club merged.

the most painful but wonderful thing about literature is discovering someone else has managed to distill something better than you ever could.
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2008, 11:25:33 PM »

currently reading Sanitarium by Melyssa G. Sprott.  (poetry.)

almost finished writing collection 6 (poetry).  still need to title quite a few pieces.

another glowing exit sign and me with no way out
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »

I'm reading Saul Bellow's 'Herzog'

Come Slowly Eden.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »

Wasn't that Ian Curtis' last read ?
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »

No,no he was watched a film DIRECTED by Werner Herzog...

Come Slowly Eden.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2008, 02:08:09 PM »

I just started Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut.  I read somewhere on here that someone read A Clockwork Orange.  Would anyone recommend it? 

Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2008, 02:48:06 PM »

Indeed. Read it at the tender age of 16 ( a gift from Uncle Barney) and fell in love with Burgess' teenage argot of a dystopian and to all intents and purposes well-predicted future apocalypse vision of the age of the young offender and their conditioning and place in society.

When they legalised the film at the back end of last century it was, for me, something of a letdown...one can hardly see what all the fuss was  about compared to some of the offerings Hollywood trundles out today. Excellent acting as ever from Macdowall (that's Malcolm - not Roddy who played Galen in Planet of the Apes). In short the book is better...much better, though many modern versions have a glossary in the back to translate Burgess' futuristic teenspeak in which the protagonist thinks/speaks you're best getting one without and trying to work it out for yourself as you go along me old dweeb.

It's basically Catcher in the Rye with flicknives, crowbars and electro shock therapy.

It may even make you want to touch yourself Will.
Vix0r
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2008, 03:42:03 PM »

I think I used to like the film because I slightly fancied MacDowell with his spiffy eyelashes but I tried to read the book and got about a page in when I decided that it was a load of bollocks and haven't ever wanted to read it since.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »

Well yes...I suppose that considered opinion is as valid as any other you could take. But I'm glad you obviously enjoyed the film so much you sweet young lady.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: