Unquiet Desperation
November 30, 2020, 07:36:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Wotchoo Readin ??  (Read 55107 times)
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »

Anything read anything by Franzen??

yes! i've read the corrections, which is good, but a bit derivative of david foster wallace (who is someone EVERYONE on here should read, cos he's the best thing since sliced bread, & i can't big-him-up enough). i have tried to start reading "strong motion," but it's not going well. he has the tendency to be a bit boring, methinks. but the corrections is good.

Now he's the King of Drunks, and he sneezes too
Watch out Lester! Take it, Lou!
Join the monk! And the C.I.O.!
Tell em all that Tiny Montgomery's coming down
To say "Hello..."
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 10:31:32 AM »

The Corrections is good....

yuo read Wallace's 'Infinite Jest'?

Come Slowly Eden.
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »

i have indeed, & sometimes i think it's the best book ever written, tho it has driven me slightly crazy, & there is probably not a day goes by in which i don't think about it, & wot the fuck happened to hal, & gately, & whether The Prettiest Girl Of All Time was actually deformed or not, & such questions as those, & basically how great it is.

have you read it?Huh?

To say "Hello..."
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »

i have not
but i must.

Come Slowly Eden.
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »

you really must, dandy, i think you will love it. it will be pretty hard going at first, & you will probably think (like me) "wot the fuck's going on here," but if you perservere you will be rewarded. somebody once said about naked lunch that it's "an endless book that will drive everybody mad," but that quote's more fitting for infinite jest. it is absolutely hilarious, but very very dark, & very very sad. if you do start reading it, DON'T - like many people do - give up. perservere, & it will be worth it. sorry, but i get a bit heated whenever i talk about this book, because i love it.

also any other DFW book - his nonfiction stuff is absolutely high-larious too, especially "a supposedly fun thing i'll never do again." read em all!

To say "Hello..."
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »

I've been so hooked on Buckowski recently though....
I find his grimy tales of Skid Row America so enthralling.
Although his shorts are rather Surreal,and occasionally seem like juvenile attempts at Sci-Fi.

Come Slowly Eden.
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 10:47:29 AM »

never read his shorts, i've just read "ham on rye" & a few poetry collections. i like what i've read, but not enough to seek out other things he's written, if yknow what i mean.

To say "Hello..."
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 10:58:47 AM »

I came across a book of shorts t'other day...
And I realised it was brilliant....
But seemingly a little contrived..

Come Slowly Eden.
Ploe
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 05:43:55 PM »

never read his shorts, i've just read "ham on rye" & a few poetry collections. i like what i've read, but not enough to seek out other things he's written, if yknow what i mean.

I'm reading "Ham on Rye" now. I'm finding it brilliant. Funny, and harrowing. All at once. Love it.
JB
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 09:30:37 AM »

i have been mired in the brothers karamasov for months now.  i dig it, but can't seem to read more than a few passages at a time.  in the meantime, i'm reading about the beats in john tytell's naked angels, and as such have picked up ginsberg's anthology of poems, and a collection of all of kerouac's novels in one edition.  finally, i've been checking out the market and seeing what's being published in a few rags.  i had a $50 gift certificate to B&N and spent it all on magazines.

I too am reading Karamazov at the moment, & am lapping it up. i've read it before, many years ago, & didn't think i'd remembered much of it, but reading it again i'm amazed how much i have remembered without even realising it. i fooking love dostoyevsky. i love how people "shake their fists" when they get angry and call each "scoundrels" and "blockheads." of course, there are many more deep philosophical and religious and moral things i love about him too, but i won't go into them here. if you are finding it a bit tough going i would say it might be the translation, as there are some translations of dostoyevsky that are very strange, especially the ones by constance garnett, who's still after all these years probably the most popular translator, but who can make dostoyevsky sound like a stilted Victorian & a very bad writer. (' "Nastasya Filippovna!" General Epanchin articulated reproachfully,' is one clunker i've just picked at random from "the idiot.") it takes a very good writer to survive mrs garnett's translation, & dostoyevsky does it admirably. wot a guy!
moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »

yep.  it's garnett who translated this as well.  it is pretty terrible.  i have a friend who says he has a better translation, so i may start over with his edition this summer.

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 01:07:07 PM »

Yet again I flit betwixt reading 'Giovanni's Room' by James Baldwin and Joris-Karl Huysmans' 'A'Rebours'.

both excellent

But an amazing book I must mention is John Rechy's City Of Night'

Come Slowly Eden.
JB
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 01:09:41 PM »

never read any of them, tho i know of "a'rebours" - it's the one that oscar wilde writes about, under a different name, in dorian gray, isn't it? also i know it from the babyshambles song, but that's neither here & nor is it there. baldwin i've never been interested in, and city of night i've never heard of at all.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 01:22:37 PM »

Yes Wilde was a massive Huysmans fan!!!
Dohert is allegedly...

Rechy explored the underbelly of the homosexual world.
He inspired Jim Morrison a massive amount,In fact L.A. WOMAN refernces it with the frrain
'CITY OF NIGHT'

Come Slowly Eden.
GhostofKidneyStonesPassed
Marlon Brando

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »

I'm reading "Ham on Rye" now. I'm finding it brilliant. Funny, and harrowing. All at once. Love it.

I'm reading that now myself.  It's hard to put down, although reading about his boils makes me wanna puke.  In a good way though. 
Ploe
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 08:46:55 PM »

Read Factotum after Ham on Rye. I'm one of the rare breed that prefers Factotum. Any narrative that involves someone licking peanut butter from their fingers, while listening to a dying man HAS to be one of my favourites. Out of principle.

Currently reading Women, but somehow I've managed to put it down. Bukowski's work is shit hot though. I hope everybody gets that...
Ploe
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »

Double posting, sorry. Still haven't finished Women but I read Pulp today. His best novel by far...
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »

I just ordered Factotum and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.  Just finished Breakfast of Champions which I liked, but not as much as Cat's Cradle.   

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Ploe
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »

Ordered, as in new?
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2008, 07:20:10 PM »

Ordered, as in new?

I ordered a used one at www.half.com.  It was actually in my mailbox when I went home for lunch.

~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2008, 11:56:13 PM »

i'm reading something by king--one of the collections--"nightmares and dreamscapes", i think.  finished "blaze" by king a few weeks ago.  it was ok.  i would have ended it differently.

mostly been reading my own books--working on a collection that has favorites from the last 2 books. 

it goes:  book 1.  all new.
            book 2.  all new.
            book 3.  first 1/2 all new.  1/4 book 1 faves.  1/4 book 2 faves.

that is the pattern i follow when writing poetry collections that no one reads.  that way--my "fans" can just buy every third book to get the general idea. 

after reading "Diary of Madness" and "Sanitarium" for the 1000th time, i'm beginning to think that i am a very disturbed individual.  lol.

another glowing exit sign and me with no way out
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »

i'm beginning to think that i am a very disturbed individual.  lol.

I've felt the same way since I was in high school.  It's fun being disturbed. 

~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »

it's more fun to be disturbING.  lol...

another glowing exit sign and me with no way out
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »

touche'

Vix0r
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2008, 07:22:46 PM »

Memoirs of a Geisha. It's really well written and addictive.

I love how when I read a good book I'm not reading, but entering a whole new little universe. The words blur and I see it all played out in my mind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: