Unquiet Desperation
July 23, 2019, 09:44:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Wotchoo Readin ??  (Read 43764 times)
John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« on: March 07, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »

i, bein a nosey-parker, would like to know wot people are readin at the moment, & wot they think of it.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »

Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut.  Also reading The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine, which I think should be required reading for schools, though many would disagree. 

I love both books.  Cradle because it's an interesting premise and all the Bokonist(sp?) philosophy involved.  The Age of Reason because if you want my opinion on religion, just read that. 

I think, therefore I'm lost.
John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »

i love cat's cradle too - if i remember rightly, that is. is that the one with ice-9? u read "mother night"? those two are, together with ofcourse slaughterhouse, his best in my not-always-humble opinion.

age of reason i've never read, doesnt sound like my cup of tea. tho of course i no tom paine, from bob dylan: "as i went out one morning / to breathe the air around tom paine's / i spied the fairest damsel / that ever did walk in chains / i offered her my hand / she took me by the arm / i knew that very instant / she meant to do me harm."
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 07:17:56 PM »

i love cat's cradle too - if i remember rightly, that is. is that the one with ice-9? u read "mother night"? those two are, together with ofcourse slaughterhouse, his best in my not-always-humble opinion.

Yes, the Ice-9, but don't tell me anything as I am right in the middle of it.  I loved Slaughterhouse too (it's the only other Vonnegut work I've read thus far).  I also occasionally read Bagombo Snuff box.  Great short stories. 

John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 07:23:19 PM »

then i'd highly recommend "mother night" for you next. i've read quite a bit of vonnegut, tho i must be honest towards his later days (later 80s & onwards) he does seem to repeat himself a lot. i think his post-slaughterhouse stuff seems to dwindle in quality, with the occasional peak like "timequake," which i enjoyed. but read "mother night"!

im nearing the end of "no country for old men" at the moment, & loving it. it's like a noir thriller by hemingway. in fact, i'm going to have to log off soon & find out wot happens....
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 07:30:30 PM »

I will definitely read it then, though I have a few other books I've been waiting to read.  Also, the No Country for Old Men, I've heard about the movie, but since I think movies are mostly boring, I'd rather read the book.    When you finish, could you give me your overall opinion without spoiling anything?  You seem to like it thus far.

John the Fascist Baptist
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »

i can do that my good man, yes - that's why i started my book club in the first place, after all!.... plus so that one day i can be like oprah, and people will have my stickers on their books: "John the Fascist Baptist's Book Club Choice" etc. stranger things have happened.

i have made myself a coffee, have a cigarette ready-rolled, the lamp's on, so i'm about to lay down and & finish my book.

ah! don't you just love reading?
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »

Oprah ain't got shit on you man. Wink
Another book I really like was Kane and Abel by Jeffery Archer.  A real page turner, whatever that maybe.

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »

I'm reading Vonnegut's Breakfast For Champions and its frankly genius

Come Slowly Eden.
moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 05:26:22 AM »

i have been mired in the brothers karamasov for months now.  i dig it, but can't seem to read more than a few passages at a time.  in the meantime, i'm reading about the beats in john tytell's naked angels, and as such have picked up ginsberg's anthology of poems, and a collection of all of kerouac's novels in one edition.  finally, i've been checking out the market and seeing what's being published in a few rags.  i had a $50 gift certificate to B&N and spent it all on magazines.

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
nauseamfromrum
Cicero

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 05:38:41 AM »

the last book i read was invisible man for school. damn good.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:40:37 AM by mlapatri » Logged
nell8090
Forum Staff
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 06:36:41 PM »

i am reading "everything is illuminated" by jonathan safran foer. it is awesome. and i recommend the movie too. made about 3 years ago.
so far its not one of those books that i can't put down, but i do find myself penciling and circling lines because they are actually very profound.
hope someone picks up this book too, so we can discuss.
Ploe
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »

Just finished Bokowski's Post Office. My first read of it. I reckon much. Waiting for a friend to loan me Ham on Rye.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »

Just finished Bokowski's Post Office. My first read of it. I reckon much. Waiting for a friend to loan me Ham on Rye.

When you say "I reckon much," does that mean you liked it?  I have wanted to read that for a while, but I've never made it past his poetry. 

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »

It's great, I've just bought some more Buckowski today.
'The Most Beautiful Woman In Town', a collection of shorts.MARVELLOUS!

Come Slowly Eden.
To The Birds
Virginia Woolf

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 10:40:33 PM »

Keeping up the Vonnegut theme, I've just started work on 'Jailbird' - only a few chapters in, but as ever it's hilarious, engrossing stuff.  The last week I've got through 'Hunger' by Knut Hamsun (one for the Kafka fans out there, me thinks...) and Haruki Murakami's most recent work, 'After Dark' (a really absorbing, surreal work as usual, although I'd recommend any newcomers to his work start with the more definitve 'Kafka on the Shore') also.  I've also got that recently issued "original scroll" edition of 'On the Road' I'd like to get through at some point in the next few weeks before uni kicks off again.
Saika_Suzumiya
Virginia Woolf

Humans, even those that seem it, are not simple...

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 11:56:39 PM »

We're doing Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey for Lit, two of the best books ever! At first, before I learnt that classics could make good stories and when I loathed Shakespeare for makin my school years a hell, I thought I'd hate those two books but I got so engrossed when I started reading, they are brilliant!

What A Piece of Work is Man! How Noble in Reason, How Infinite in Faculties, in Form and Moving How Express and Admirable, in Action How Like an Angel, in Apprehension How Like a God: the Beauty of the World, the Paragon of Animals!
(Hamlet, II, ii)
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 12:06:22 AM »

I think Kesey, on the whole, gets far too wrapped up in that Huxley-meets-Leary psycho-babble BUT 'One Flew...'is a modern day classic

Come Slowly Eden.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »

Kesey was a government ginny pig for LSD.  If anyone saw the The Electric Kool Aid Talk Show, he says the government asked him to go into this unknown "room" and explore it.  For 8 months he explored it.  When he got out, the government did not want anyone to go back in that "room" again. Grin 

Assholes.

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »

Didn't he used to get his supply from Owsley?

Come Slowly Eden.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 02:56:32 PM »

I believe so.  They were all around San Fran, so I'm sure there was some connection there too.

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 06:27:12 PM »

And like every Acid-Head of that scene the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane would have been involved...and maybe The Doors,Ginsberg and Neil Younng for good measure.

Come Slowly Eden.
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 09:58:20 AM »

Oprah ain't got shit on you man. Wink
Another book I really like was Kane and Abel by Jeffery Archer.  A real page turner, whatever that maybe.

in england, if you like jeffery archer, it is automatically assumed there is something wrong with you.

Now he's the King of Drunks, and he sneezes too
Watch out Lester! Take it, Lou!
Join the monk! And the C.I.O.!
Tell em all that Tiny Montgomery's coming down
To say "Hello..."
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 10:02:42 AM »

i am reading "everything is illuminated" by jonathan safran foer. it is awesome. and i recommend the movie too. made about 3 years ago.
so far its not one of those books that i can't put down, but i do find myself penciling and circling lines because they are actually very profound.
hope someone picks up this book too, so we can discuss.

i've been meaning to read that for a while - that, & the other one, about the kid who's dad dies in the twin towers, where it's got the reverse flipbook at the back of The Falling Man falling UP the towers. i've been slightly put off by some reviews i've read, which basically call safran foer a pretentious nobody, tho that sounds like jealousy to me, & i am keen to check them both out, innit.

Now he's the King of Drunks, and he sneezes too
Watch out Lester! Take it, Lou!
Join the monk! And the C.I.O.!
Tell em all that Tiny Montgomery's coming down
To say "Hello..."
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 10:13:52 AM »

Anything read anything by Franzen??

Come Slowly Eden.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print