Unquiet Desperation
October 22, 2019, 01:58:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What Made You Decide To Pick Up Pens??  (Read 20326 times)
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »

On the same note,
What inspires you to continue in your respective Art forms?Huh

Come Slowly Eden.
Ploe
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 11:23:51 PM »

Because if I didn't, I wouldn't feel right. Every so often one needs to spalsh ink all over a page to feel better.
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 11:00:39 PM »

it is who i am.

another glowing exit sign and me with no way out
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »

I think I understand.

You write simply because you must??

Come Slowly Eden.
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 05:15:09 PM »

indeed.

Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 01:12:46 PM »

Aye but there's the rub....with 21st Century Screenagers headful of more influences than there are flavours of ice cream makes you think there must come a time to clear out the attic and divorce self from other artists...films, music, painters , writers. Immersing oneself in ART by intravenous drip day in day out is not necessarily the road of an artist. GET A LIFE. So often said to so many by so many about each other and themselves.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »

Hence plagiarism.

HOWEVER I think influences are vital in shaping the artist provided artists does not get subsumed by them and from the ingredients of others makes a unique recipe of his/her own ?
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 04:42:55 PM »

my recipe was concocted far before i was born. 

broken bones before broken home.  violence driven and unforgiven... i was born this dark.  i was born writing.  

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 08:42:25 AM »

And will only ferment when you're long dead.

Come Slowly Eden.
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 11:59:34 PM »

absolutely.

Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 12:16:29 PM »

Writers. I gotta strange relationship with that word. Years ago I used to claim to be one or aspire to being one and all that entails. But then people would often say..."What have you written then ?"
And the answers would be a bit fuddled. Looking into the lives of GREAT WRITERS ...as people not a lot of them would make it into my friendship stakes. That grand geiger counter of the rotting American Dream   Arthur Miller - one grand playwright - but do you know what a bastard he was was to Marilyn Monroe ? Master of Anarchic Farce but what a screwed up neurotic Joe Orton was ? Philip Larkin - fine poet  also very mixed up self-orientated misogynst ? Ted & Sylvia ...room for endless debate but honsetly often as bad as each other in fuelling one another's creative demons. Not sure If I'd like to spend an afternoon with them.

To me the best on is Herman Melville...wrote the definitive American Novel in "Moby Dick " and then just packed it in and became Postmaster General and didn't think anything less of himself for doing so. Daphne Du Maurier who achieved heights with The Birds (Hitchcock Film) found her talent a fairweather friend only and for years could write NOTHING at all. Bram Stoker wrote 70 odd novel attempts pre Dracula which were all CRAP. So therefore does one's very identity plug into your self definition as a writer. I wouldn't recommend it for mental health reasons.

So now I just say.. I'm a person and yeah I do a bit of writing. Sometimes.

Rather like a guy I knew who tried to stop smoking...rather than make that vicious claim "OH. I'VE STOPPED SMOKING" . He'd just say ..."I just haven't had a cigarette today that's all..."   Same with writing. The higher you set yourself up...the further you're gonna fall, the "writing", given time will look after itself.

I think also when you gather in the company of fellow writers you always meet one who's done/read/written more than you so I just keep it quiet and listen. Enjoy. And when they least expect it
whip out the quill.  What would Uncle Barney think ?
pease-smith
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »

I dunno i've always wrote little things and did silly drawings of extra-dimensional worry. Must've been around four. I guess what drove me to do it is that i can't do much with speaking and i'm also highly absorbed in myself so it was nice to get it out. I'm starting to come to an horrible and depressive feeling that i've not absorbed has much has i should've. I think my biggest influence in my life has been my thoughts Huh but yes truely stuck in a prison now. I've not absorbed anything in the last 6 months and looking back over my life so far i haven't truely absorbed things like everyone else seems to do.

It was nice acting like a pretensious writer for a couple of years though. But I don't know i'm at a standstill. I'm at a standstill.

And i've got the choice of carrying on with life knowing i haven't truely lived. Or cutting my wrists with a butchers knife!

FUCK
Ploe
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »

That's idiotic, you feel you haven't truly lived, so you feel the urge to end your life more sudden, more abrupt. Where is the sense in that pease-smith? We all feel tortured, we all feel we've wasted our lives, even if we lead full lives we'd probably torture ourselves over the micro-events that normal people worry about, like having the crust cut off their toast without being asked.

You have problems with identity, other people have dafter worries like what colour they should dye their hair, or if so-and-so thinks they wore the wrong shoes to the wake.
Vix0r
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »

Sometimes life can be tough. Very tough. If you fight through it then getting to the good bits in life is all the more wonderful for the effort you've put in to get there.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 11:12:58 AM »

READ READ READ......you 'aint even scratched the surface yet....teenage angst is an outdated bourgeois off the peg indulgence ....   coined by James Dean, popularised by pop culture, marketed by mainstream wallowed in by many and profited by a few.

DON'T  FALL  FOR IT.    IT IS A LIE.   

You probably ARE enjoying your life without even knowing it...

An Unlimited Amount. Too many oultlets in and out. LIKE....EMI     (Sex Pistols...EMI)
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »

Don't bismirch the angelic words,face and image of the great James Byron Dean,the single most beautiful man in History!!!

Come Slowly Eden.
Ploe
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »

Don't bismirch the angelic words,face and image of the great James Byron Dean,the single most beautiful man in History!!!

People only think that because he threw himself into a tree before time had chance to beat him with the ugly stick.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »

Was not a tree!!!
Some trailer-trash cousin-fucker ploughed into him on a lonely Californian desert Hi-Way.

Come Slowly Eden.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »

Was not a tree!!!
Some trailer-trash cousin-fucker ploughed into him on a lonely Californian desert Hi-Way.

...well that's the official story...or did FBI want shut Huh   As per Messrs. Lennon, Morrison, Hendrix ?

Conspiracy theories anyone ?
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 07:40:51 PM »

Dean wasn't a particular threat to anyone,I mean breaking-hearts isn't a felony,is it?

Come Slowly Eden.
Vix0r
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 09:49:49 PM »

It is if it's literally breaking hearts...
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 01:57:13 AM »

Ah, I see....a goode few of Rebels' cast met stick and mysterious ends n'all....Well,i Wonder....

Come Slowly Eden.
jdrabell
Virginia Woolf

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »

compulsion!! i don't want a job
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2008, 04:17:36 PM »

Oh Bolshy do I despair of thee sometimes...you are of tender years so it's natural but don't be so impressionable of these teen icons before you've put them through the mincer...believe me it all comes out in the mulch, meat scabs and fat . I can tell you things about Dean which would put you off him for life...he was definitely NOT the most beautiful man in history anymore than Pol Pot..i think he was  more of a right place/right timer...someone had to be it...just as that Memphis truck driver was to become Elvis Aaron Presley...were it not him it would have so easily  been someone else. Be your own hero boy, as you were on stage the other night.
sinister_miss_nancy
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2008, 07:26:44 PM »

In all honesty i don't think i can give an exact answer. I have an odd relationship with my writing. When i was younger-from the age of about 9 till i was maybe 14, i kept a diary. I used to write in it every day, always about the small unimportant things-playground arguments and childish ideas-you get the jist. But when something bigger happened I either skipped around it as if it was trivial or didn't mention it at all.
This 'something bigger' happend to be a death in the family, and soon after i completely finished writing in my diary. A year later i bought myself a new book-originally to be a diary i imagine... And wrote a poem about my feelings about that death. I guess you could say i have issues with my issues? I think its my way of going to a psychologist, minus the chair - and the psychologist, of course...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: