Unquiet Desperation
December 11, 2017, 09:06:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Politial/Social Mesages in Art  (Read 4146 times)
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« on: March 01, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »

I'm not sure if any of you followed/heard of this, but a while back here in the States, there was a controversy of an American flag being deep fried as a statement against American obesity (Us Americans and our flags were outraged of course Roll Eyes).  I love a band called Rage Against the Machine, but sometimes their political message just turns me off from what is pretty fuckin, rockin, music.  So my question is, do political/social messages within art add/detract/dilute the piece of work itself? 

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Vix0r
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:20:08 AM »

My guess is that the art was created solely to get the message across, so it stands as it is. It could not be better or worse without the message because it would not exist.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 01:38:43 AM »

But some art has no message (such as most of mine).  Much of my writings simply try to convey a feeling, an emotion, a moment of tranquility.  Would you say something inspired by political/social issues deserve more acclamation?  My favorite comedian, Bill Hicks, was at the forefront of stuff like this,  I think it couldn't have been any other way..at least for Bill.  His genius was in his humorous, social commentary.

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Vix0r
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 01:42:05 PM »

I didn't say all art has to have a message. I was talking about the art specifically made to portray a certain message. Really, you could class all art as that, even yours. You're trying to get the message of how you feel, ect across to the reader/viewer.
moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 07:34:18 PM »

art, culture and politics are inseperable.

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:02:46 AM »

true true,
in fact some of the greatest writers and artists were actively involved in the political side of things as much as the creative;people from Dickens to Hunter S Thompson to Sartre where all heavily involed and lacd there work with political thought..

Come Slowly Eden.
Vix0r
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »

Some people eat deep fried pizza and mars bars. =/
michaelaaron
Virginia Woolf

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:03:37 AM »

i think it totally depends on the person/artist. Some people have projects with a message in mind like rage against the machine--well politcal issues are their platform for self-expression but because that with respect to the artist, that is their choice and they want you to be exposed to an idea. I know I have some projects where I say, "Bam! this is going to be that idea and message (politcis or not)!" & I have others where it's like, "i'm just creating---I'm not trying to convert the masses!" lol.

then there is the difference between how you utilize your message-- but that's something completely different. As with most matters regarding artists/writers and vicariuosness/pretensiousness-- the truth will let out...

Cool
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 02:56:50 PM »

Bank in the punk era there were a lot of skinhead type bands who gained popularity from hard rockin' pogo dancing stuff yet whose lyrics espoused various Nazi doctrines. Which is why on the Sandman thread I said I think words do matter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: