Unquiet Desperation
January 24, 2021, 03:14:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Self Realization  (Read 6301 times)
Houlden_Caulfield
Sir Thomas More

« on: March 01, 2008, 03:11:39 PM »

I took some pictures

Number1

Number2

'Die walt, die!!'
'No mickey, I love you dearly.'
'Dieeeeee!!! you made my damn ears too big.'
'Don't point the gun at me, I MADE YOU.'
'Walt, I no longer care, I want to rule the world.'

Machine gun noise

'Muhhaaahaaaaa!'
Flying_whizzabe
Arthur Miller

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »

ooooh!! Intresting.

I like the ideas you have, however I cannot ignore how ugly the lighting is on the first one,
notice how areas of the hair and too high of contrast, it makes the wonderful shadows on the back
unbalanced. The composition is also a little clumbsy, you could have thought this out a little bit more or even cropped
distracting areas. I really am drawn towards the subjects back, this area is good yet other faults within the frame are so dissapointing.

The second photograph also has a composition that I feel could be improved. The visual textures in the dress are interesting, I
like how the second photograph follows on, When I look at your photographs I get the impression the girl trys on the dress infront of the mirror but dislikes how the dress looks, almost as though the dress shadows who she is, the second photograph seems to show less confidence ad distress that the dress doesn'tbecome her.

What were your intensions? What are you showing?
nell8090
Forum Staff
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 04:06:45 AM »

in regards to the second photo:

i love the image, but it is not in complete focus. its obviously off centered, which may be intentional,
however, i feel that the composition of the picture detract from the emotion that you captured.
can you crop a bit of that out (the floor, the dresser, etc.) if you feel that it is an apt revision?

i really do love the photo though. the girl intrigued me...
Houlden_Caulfield
Sir Thomas More

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:40:52 PM »

Thank you for your comments and critism!

Definately some valid points there flying_whizzab. On Number 1, the lighting is defiantely an issue in the 1st photo: the hair is too illumnated and the flash in the mirror is just horrible. See if I can do something about that in photoshop. Ideally I'd get a whole lighting rig set up but that's just Not happening.

Composition wise, I think I will slice a smidgen off the right of the picture (it looks out of balance with the shelves to the left). I think ideally the picture should have focused More on the paraphanalia on the shelves (to the left) or Less. Right now it seems unintentional and distracting. Cropping the left of the picture does chop of her arm though and this isn't a compromise that I can make really.

-- nell8090 -- I do agree with you, the composition of the Number 2 could be improved. Just as with the 1st, the bedroom furniture (dresser in this case) is pretty unneccesary and potentially distracting. And again, frustratingly, cropping it would chop off her back.

Although Number 2 is not perfect I think would leave the carpet in. I wanted to make the subject look Alien to, and Lost, within the scene. At the same time, I wanted to really let the audience feel as if they are within the room. I wanted to make the audience feel compelled to help this poor, vulnerable girl but unable to, and distant from her. In essance, the viewer should empathise with her, feel the same distress and essentially become the subject: another lost, alienated creature, unable to help anyone, or be helped by anyone.

I feel reluctant to tell people what I'm trying to do with the pictures. If they were perfect, no-one would need to ask me and that's what we've got to aim for. In a sense though, I would prefer if people not only "came up" with their own interpretation, but valued it above what everyone else sees in the picture. e.g.  flying_whizzabs idea that the girl is rejecting a symbol of herself, is truly fantastic, and (nicely) it's close to my interpretation. I'd rather that the viewer simply accept what they see and enjoy it for that. I should be a curator Wink

--In short, I'm fed up of being told what pictures are "really" about Smiley

Perhaps, as the comments seem to have emphasised, I might try cropping the ceiling -as it only serves to frame the picture- while adding more carpet. Maybe. I'll experiement with the pictures.

Although I can't take the picture again (unless I get another opportunity) it's really useful to know how I could improve it if I were to do it again. Thanks a lot.

Thanks again for all ur comments. It's really helpful, interesting and useful.

Keep them coming !! Smiley

-B. Lowman

'Die walt, die!!'
'No mickey, I love you dearly.'
'Dieeeeee!!! you made my damn ears too big.'
'Don't point the gun at me, I MADE YOU.'
'Walt, I no longer care, I want to rule the world.'

Machine gun noise

'Muhhaaahaaaaa!'
Flying_whizzabe
Arthur Miller

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 02:33:34 PM »

Smiley
nell8090
Forum Staff
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:13:01 AM »

i must admit, photography is not my forte anyway. so either way, good work. as its better than anything i could put together.
i give you credit.  Cool
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »

i must admit, photography is not my forte anyway. so either way, good work. as its better than anything i could put together.
i give you credit.  Cool

LIKE WISE!!!

Come Slowly Eden.
Lillie Helvin
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »

this just looks like a couple of myspace photographs to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: