Unquiet Desperation
November 19, 2017, 07:35:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Humans to Cyborgs  (Read 11227 times)
WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« on: August 21, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »

What do people think about upgrading our bodies with technology? Do you agree that it will facilitate a stronger human race? Do you think we would be able to upgrade our minds as much as our bodies? Where would we stop being "human"? Do we want to be "more than human" in this way? How far do we want to go?

Persoanlly, the idea of being stronger in many different ways is very attractive to me, but some people say that we should be happy the way we are and to stick with it because we are "human".

Obviously, we don't want to end up like the Borg.

Failed, again.
jrkulmer
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

The greatest threat to freedom is free speech.

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 07:41:41 PM »

We are already becoming cyborgs. Anyone with a pacemaker or an artificial limb, or any bodily enhancements, is already a primitive form of cyborg, only this is only used in the case of medical help. One day we'll all have bluetooth devices or an eye patch thing that we can access the internet on and make phone calls etc.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »

We'll probably have something implanted that monitors bodily systems like heart rate, blood sugar level, etc. so we can prevent diseases and maybe even become our own doctors.  I'm all for it.  If you don't want to go cyborg you don't have to.  Of course it won't be too long before the gubment starts implanting chips in us anyway. 

I think, therefore I'm lost.
WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »

We already have those Bluetooth ear-pieces. And sure, we've got the basic tech, and we'll get medical enhancemants like pacemakers. But I'm waiting for the real good stuff like special glasses and stuff liek that, or even for tech to replace our own body parts.

Failed, again.
WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:41:11 PM »

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/ar-contact-lens

Failed, again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: