Unquiet Desperation
March 29, 2020, 07:23:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we exist?  (Read 5477 times)
Editor
Administrator
Charles Bukowski

« on: August 14, 2009, 12:10:34 AM »

Discuss...  Wink
Ben
Gladiator
Virginia Woolf

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »

In all probability nothing should exist. Yet here we are.

"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member"
-Groucho Marx
WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:14:35 PM »

Oh man, I just lost my whole argument coz i pressed the wrong button... arggh.

Ben, this thread is for the discussion in the shout box. Although, I'm sure we can move on in a bt.

Debating are nessescery for us to progress. Through debating, or rather, discussion, we strive to enlighten the other person, as well as enlighten ourselves. The purpose of debating, arguing, whatever, is to show the other person where they have made an error of judgement, and how they can rectify that. It is also to show a new angle on the subject, which can be learned from. This is the core of teaching is it not? To show the other person new knowledge? If we through that out of the window, then the path to enlightenment is closed off. We cannot reach there without the help of other people, this is CORE to our humanity as a community. We learn from eachother, we help eachother, and we give eachopther new perspective, because we all stand on different moral bases. If we disagree, we bel;ieve the otehr is wrong, and this is when discussion progresses into argument, but this is still nessescery! Through passionate arguing, we uncover more of our ways of thinking. Alas, sometimes cannot accept they are wrong, and are stubborn, and this is when arguing breaks down. In the words of Dumbledore, it is much easier for one to forgive another for being wrong, then to forgive themselves for being wrong. Arguing requires an open mind, and an acceptance that they may have made an error. Sometimes though, arguments can never be resolved: this is because of our different moral bases. The best we can do here is to show the other a new angle, one that can always be accepted, or one that can show the other new insight into the humanity of another person.

Arguing is fundamental to or humanity to progress. Indeed it is basic, but it is basic for a reason: basics help humanity to continue. Continue where? To better ourselves. A fundamental thing to our nature. To be more than human is to be human.

Failed, again.
WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:15:46 PM »

And in reply to the title.

I refute it thus (kicks computer desk).

Failed, again.
jrkulmer
Ernest Hemingway

The greatest threat to freedom is free speech.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 07:16:10 PM »

I think the simple answer to the title, is yes. We cannot be sure of anything elses existence, but a deep innermost consciousness, at least, does exist.

And for gods sake before it descends to some pit of snarling testosterone laiden argument hungry adolescent neo-philosophizers, create a separate thread on debating. Smiley

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams
Ploe
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »

Cogito, ergo sum.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 04:03:37 PM »

^^^Descartes knows his stuff.

Along those lines, any emotion reminds me of my existence.  I feel, therefore I am.  How cruel would it be to inflict pain or joy onto something that is not real?   

I think, therefore I'm lost.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 03:32:58 PM »

Yes.We DO exist.Most unfortunately.

Come Slowly Eden.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: