Unquiet Desperation
February 17, 2020, 07:09:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WRITTEN IN THE STARS ( inrtro)  (Read 4791 times)
cactusflower
Ernest Hemingway

« on: May 25, 2009, 12:13:39 AM »

WRITTEN  IN  THE  STARS

Gracie and I had grown up through school and college and were  close as sisters .  We even had a crush on George, a neiighbor boy who only had eyes for Gracie.  It was inevitable that someday they would  wed and have a house full of  children  It did not matter that Gracie's parents  owned the biggest house in town or had money to burn,while I came from a middle class' family.  We were all; friends.

When her parents were killed in a plane crash everything belonged to Gracie. I had a job as secretary to a prominent lawyer  when my own parents retired to Floida and I moved into a comfortable apartment near my place of implooyment.

With the passage of time we saw each other less often but spoke on the phone and  once in a while would meet on my lunch hour.   Then the lunch meetings came to an end.  That was not as frightening as the phone calls which were never answered. I finally called George' I did not want to frighten him but he said he had heard from her twice telling him she needed  time to herslf to think over some things importtant tto her well being' and to please respect her wishes.  After the second call she had not answered the phone.when he called   He thought it might be wedding jitters and the fact that her parents could not be there. I was confused and alarmed.and decided to pay her her a visit even if she did not want to see me.  .

m. 

cactusflower
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »

WRITTEN IN THE STARS (Page two)

page two WRITTEN IN THE STARS

It was a half hours drive to Gracie's, and I was fortunate not to be picked up for speeding, since I know I broke all speed records.  I parked in front of the house since Gracie\s limo was in the driveway, and ran up the steps to the front door.  No one answered the doorbell so I  banged furiously on the door I saw the front window drape move a bit and shortly after,  the door opened slightly.  Gracie reached out for my arm
dragged me hurriedly into the front parlor pulling the door shut and bolting it

"Will you please tell ,me what is going on with you?  . George is frantic and I fail to understand your actions lately."
 She motioned for me to sit on the sofa and left the room long enough to return with a pot of; tea and two cups.

"Gracie this is not a social call.  I am worried about you and so is George. Now what is it?  I am not leaving here without some explanation."

She sat facing me and picked a magazine from the teacart, opened it to a page she had bookmarked

'"t is my horoscope for the month.  I must not leave the house for any reason, and not communicate with any strangers who might try to break into my house later. Not only that'  I found our that I could have saved my parents if I had known what the stars held for them on the day of the crash.''

'What gave you such a ridiculous, goofy idea?'

"My good friend Madame Arablella.  She reads horoscopes professionally and predicts the future.  She said that It was fated for the plane to crash at that day and that hour;, and if I had been aware of that  I perhaps could have prevented it  and they would be sitting here with us now ."; 

'Where did; you meet this woman and how did she get you wrapped up in this malarkey?"   

'She moved in a few months ago and was so nice and friendly and then I found out that she was so marvelously wise.  She has a lot of clients who live by her predictions and they always come true.  She read George's horoscope to me too.  I should never have promised to marry him.  He is wrong for me. What can I do about that?";

"What !!  Are you out of your mind? He is the sweetest guy I know and has never wanted anything but to see you walk down that isle.  You were going to go with me to pick out out our dresses for your wedding."

"Helen, there is going to be no wedding..  He is a Taurus;.  Madame Arabellla was horrified when I told her about George.  She said that the marriage would make  us both miserable in time, no matter how think I feel about him now.  Can't you see how stupid I have been to think there was no one else for me?  She said I am going to meet a handsome blond stranger someday in my future and fall madly in love and will not be able to help myself.  If I marry George this man with still come between us and sweep me off my feet.  She said supposing I had children by then and decided I was stuck in a loveless marriage?.  It would not be fair to my husband or my children; should we have any.  She unraveled my whole future life   Believe me, It was dismal",

I was speechless, which is rare for me.  I was worried about Gracie's sanity. How could she dump George for a man ahe had not even met, because some wierdo had warped her brain?

(to be continued)

Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »

Interesting read, although there are many typos.  You will want to proofread this.

I think, therefore I'm lost.
cactusflower
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »

I replied to this and then when I ran the spell check on my reply my answer disappeared.  Gremlins at work..  so here goes again and without a spell check

I saw the typos but thanksl  I am famous for being the uncrowned queen of the typo.  I got the idea for the story when you said the zodiac idea should be furthered along by showing the damage it could cause to the life of someone who relied on a lot of false information . I thought perhaps a narrative post would be better than a poem for this topic.  I am just getting over the flu bug so haven't felt like typing lately but will continue it and proof read the rest if you think it is worth finishing and my brain gets back to normal.  lol   

wanda

cactusflower
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »

for the fun of it I looked up Gracie's and George's horoscopes and since he is a Taurue and she is a Scorpio---they may really not be suited for each other    LOL

cactusflower
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:55:55 AM »

HI   I have rewritten the  first pages of this story and finished it and will post the finished tale if you care to read it.    Smiley

indigoblossoms
Virginia Woolf

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 02:24:06 AM »

I am definitely interested in reading your lovely story. Would love if you would post the finished product. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: