Unquiet Desperation
January 23, 2019, 04:34:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Con Science  (Read 8234 times)
jrkulmer
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

The greatest threat to freedom is free speech.

« on: May 21, 2009, 08:18:03 PM »

This is the forum to discuss what has just verbally raped the shout box
Thats our conscious discussion

I suggest we talk immediately lol
Nothing to do with the fact I'm bored.....

Grin

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams
JJ
Gladiator
Sir Thomas More

Shoving fun down your throat.

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »

I have to agree with James on this one as I can see where Amer is coming from but I feel that our conscience is due to millions of years of evolution, and just a result of the neurones in our brains. This is also linked to the idea of our mind not being different, but parallel to our brains. Now this may just be the rantings of a naive teenager in way over his head, but nonetheless...

"This life of games, and diligent trust,
Its the things we do, or the things we must.
Im now tired of being cussed,
So go sleep forever end to dust" - 'Vanished' by Crystal Castles
jrkulmer
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 08:34:32 PM »

sounds about right to me Cheesy
but then again im a teenager too :S lol, age is an illusion though is it not?
.....thats another discussion for another day lol Cheesy

and why hello jack Smiley

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams
SimoAlx
Gladiator
Virginia Woolf

Music is like my heart... it needs a pulse.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »

Isn't conscience just due to how your brought up, your slightly scared to go against conformity, and its like your actions "firewall". "ALLOW ALEX TO STEAL MONEY - possible outcomes: Jail and shit life... ACCEPT"
lol
Bad metaphor but you see where i'm coming from...

"Oh hell no, these vessels,
Our heart swells up, which welcome,
Our heart swells up, which makes us explode." Red Socks Pugie - Foals
JJ
Gladiator
Sir Thomas More

Shoving fun down your throat.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:48:13 PM »

Why good day to you James.
And yes Alex your conscience does differ to how you were brought up. I'm not sure I agree with the relating people to computers metaphor but I get what you mean.

"This life of games, and diligent trust,
Its the things we do, or the things we must.
Im now tired of being cussed,
So go sleep forever end to dust" - 'Vanished' by Crystal Castles
jrkulmer
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:16:57 PM »

Yeah environment affects our conscences, but there are certain morals all people share, programmed into our brains
Research the book, and the moral problems posed by Marc Hauser in his book: Moral Minds: How Nature Designed our Universal Sense Of Right And Wrong

It illustrates this, with case studies and everything, statistics, and you'll get the same feeling if you try the problems. Smiley

WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »

I was reading a book called "Emotional Intelligence" by Daniel Goreman, and he talked about Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) and how it is starting to be part of education and how it was vital in how children was educated. I couldn't help feeling that, because they are teaching these kids how interact with other people's emotions and all, it just seemed like they would all be taught how to be sociable and empathetic and basically the same in how we are with other people, and I really didn't like that. Who are they to suggest how people act with one another, provided it didn't cause real harm? Imagine Hitler teaching an SEL class? Who are they to decide?

Failed, again.
jrkulmer
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:46:12 PM »

Yes very good point, but the moral guidelines preprogrammed into our brains are there in all of us, the lack of them draws the line between normal people and psychopaths lol.

And I agree with what your saying about the teachers teaching morals, it is stupid, but then again, what if the parents are as bad, there has to be a fallback in the education system. Of course there will be exeptions, where it is unadvisable for the teacher to be doing this, the vast majority of the time, it will work.

WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 07:52:20 PM »

A balance? Not so extreme as to teach us how to act with one another, but enough to try and teach us that hurting innocent people is generally wrong?

Failed, again.
jrkulmer
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 11:36:12 PM »

I would say its best to try Tongue

Ploe
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 04:39:40 PM »

I don't understand this. Rabbled!
WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:07:44 PM »

Just reading back through this, and I need to re-build my UD posting.

I noticed that jrkulmer says that stuff about the preprogrammed moral guidlines in all of us, and how they seperate the normal people from psychopaths. Firstly, who are we to decide what is normal, in matters such as this? I don't think it's fair to a slap a normal or psychopath tag on how someone thinks because its "different". Secondly, As we'ev seen, the German people pre-hitler were pretty all right, not psychopathic as far as I can tell. But this was changed, through various means. Not only does it show how it is difficult that we have these preprogrammed guidelines if they are so easily changed, but also that it IS possible to...err.. "educate" (RS term lol) our conscience. I think these "preprogrammed" guidelines are rather influenced from the moment we are born.

Again, I'm probably bullshitting. I haven't read through what I've typed, some of it is complete rubbish, but I need an argument.

Failed, again.
jrkulmer
Gladiator
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 01:16:47 AM »

I'm talking about the morals an ordinary homo sapiens will posess, even if they are raised in isolation from the rest of their race; however I do agree there are certain morals that are attributed to culture, society, and the social trends of the time.

Unfortunately I refuse to argue with someone who just wants an argument, if I agree with what my opponent says in mid battle, I will be honest, I think just doing this for arguments sake forfeits a good discussion to a 2 way rant.

You should pop to the arena

Ploe
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »

Xenophobia inspires etiquette. Ettiquette becomes morality. The more time you spend isolated, the more morals will spawn.
WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 07:25:43 PM »

Hmm I may be disposed to say that the majority of people would be won over by social norms and morals, albeit with some people who can see through it. It's a very murky subject in my opinion, and de-ends on the circumstances.

Would you run through the "xenophobia inspires etiquette" part please?

Failed, again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: