Unquiet Desperation
July 17, 2019, 08:26:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Convenience  (Read 10884 times)
salvagemydream
Sir Isaac Newton

Robert Fisher

« on: February 21, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »

The less we have to try, the less we remember how to try.

And how everything has a digital replacement. eg:

Friends - msn messenger (keeping people indoors and ruining childhood since 1999)

What I'd give to see the universe in it's entirety.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »

cmon convienece aint all that bad if it wasnt for people realisng more convient methods printing and distribution would still be pretty much medieval.......I.E. NO U.D.

Come Slowly Eden.
Abi
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »

I see what you mean here Rob. You're right Brett sometimes it's helpful. However to a more personal thing in peoples lives such as friends and such it has allowed people to be lazy. They don't need to call their friends or perhaps meet up with them as much. it takes away a little bit of the joy of person in person.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »

nothing wrong with laziness

Come Slowly Eden.
Abi
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 01:44:37 PM »

there is if it sabotages are friendship or something
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 04:52:09 PM »

too true

Come Slowly Eden.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »

The less we have to try, the less we remember how to try.

The less we have to try, the more we get to try new things.  Glass half full man...it's the only way, or perhaps just my mood today.

I think, therefore I'm lost.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »

wah?
the dlass is half-full,
if it was half empty id fill it up with ale.
lol
if i could be bothered.

Come Slowly Eden.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 05:37:12 PM »

I drank a little too much Carlsbad last night.  It was inconvenient for this morning. 

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 05:40:12 PM »

i bet it was
with my ever-present burning nauseous stomach
and a newly acquired head-ache
i felt 'uncovienced' today
only i aint drank since sunday

Come Slowly Eden.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »

Of course convenience just leaves time for more work too.   

Ploe
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 06:12:42 PM »

If each copy of our beautiful UD was a handwritten masterpiece, I'd love it more. But it's much simpler to distribute as a well formatted little gig, thanks to a DTP.

However convenience is killing certain ideals. For instance because of Supermarkets we no longer know how to forage or hunt. Unless you happen to be Ray Mears, and then you get called a cunt by people like me.
Abi
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 08:08:24 PM »

its a vicious circle
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 08:25:57 PM »

However convenience is killing certain ideals. For instance because of Supermarkets we no longer know how to forage or hunt. Unless you happen to be Ray Mears, and then you get called a cunt by people like me.

It's because we no longer need to, unless you do it for recreation of course.  We're evolving and have new challenges to face like politicians. 

Ploe
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 09:15:35 PM »

The ancient discovery of fire will sort those bastards out.
Vix0r
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »

Many people grow their own fruit and vegetables instead of shopping for them. Okay, so it's not foraging, more planting seeds and cultivating plants, but it's like being a mini farmer and a person of the land. You have to work to get your food.

Home made foods like breads and pies are also not convenient, but damned tasty. If I could cook and had the patience, I'd grow and bake all my own stuff.

EDIT: Also, msn brought me many new friends and opened up my "childhood" that bit more. Without it, and early teenage rebellion, I wouldn't have met someone special. Everything has a good and a bad side.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:48:59 PM by Vix0r » Logged
salvagemydream
Sir Isaac Newton

Robert Fisher

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 12:52:44 AM »

There's nothing wrong with convenience in that sense. It's just when it gets unnecessary and pointless and lazy that it ruins so many things.

Think about it this way: is it easier to paint a painting, or buy a painting?

and which is the right way...

Ploe
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 01:05:24 AM »

There's nothing wrong with convenience in that sense. It's just when it gets unnecessary and pointless and lazy that it ruins so many things.

Well those're two different things done for two different reasons. If you buy a painting it's normally because you admire it due to something inexplicable. If you paint, you've painted because you want to. It's nothing to do with laziness/convenience.

Your example is like saying read UD, or write for UD.
salvagemydream
Sir Isaac Newton

Robert Fisher

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »

I know what I mean...  Huh

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »

shame i don't

Come Slowly Eden.
keysersose
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 02:15:56 PM »

I know what you mean too, Salvage. Smiley Don't let these literary thugs bully you.

Well those're two different things done for two different reasons. If you buy a painting it's normally because you admire it due to something inexplicable. If you paint, you've painted because you want to. It's nothing to do with laziness/convenience.

Understand the distiction you're making, Ploe, but I think Rob's alluding to the fact that this can be considered at a more fundamental level. Sure there are the subsidiary motivations you mention, but at base the desire for a bautiful piece of art can be satisfied by making it or acquiring it. Too many people now are content to passively acquire; too few are actually ready to hew what they need out of the artistic ether. The former may be much easier, but it atrophies us. The latter may be harder and more frustrating, but at least it gives us a sense that we actually exist to do something other than graze like vacant sheep.

That OK, Salvage?

Keyserrrrr.

Under neon loneliness, motorcycle emptiness.
salvagemydream
Sir Isaac Newton

Robert Fisher

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:22 PM »

I know what you mean too, Salvage. Smiley Don't let these literary thugs bully you.

Understand the distiction you're making, Ploe, but I think Rob's alluding to the fact that this can be considered at a more fundamental level. Sure there are the subsidiary motivations you mention, but at base the desire for a bautiful piece of art can be satisfied by making it or acquiring it. Too many people now are content to passively acquire; too few are actually ready to hew what they need out of the artistic ether. The former may be much easier, but it atrophies us. The latter may be harder and more frustrating, but at least it gives us a sense that we actually exist to do something other than graze like vacant sheep.

That OK, Salvage?

Keyserrrrr.

And that my friends is the nail hit right on the head.

Thanks Keyser

salvagemydream
Sir Isaac Newton

Robert Fisher

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 11:56:28 PM »

shame i don't

Yes.

Yes it is.

moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 01:49:40 AM »

The less we have to try, the more we get to try new things.  Glass half full man...it's the only way, or perhaps just my mood today.

thought this was a great idea that went unnoticed as it spun off into a drinking contest.  it sounds to me that if you're lazy, it's a personal problem.  i work my ass off doing what i want to, and that we're so able to have that leisure is something i'm personally thankful for.  of course, the good fight's not over until that's all we have to do, and that's what i spend my time doing - laying those tracks one plank at a time.

now, i'm off to the pub.

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
Vix0r
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 12:04:47 AM »

This conversation has got me wanting to grow carrots now. One day, in a window box.....
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: