Unquiet Desperation
March 19, 2019, 08:45:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting published elsewhere?  (Read 7612 times)
Ploe
« on: April 26, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »

I love this publication a fucking lot. It is a great outlet for some otherwise silenced talent and someday it will be the amazing literary behemoth that we all see it as anyway. However I know nothing of the traditional publishing process, read selling out by you radicals, and what I want is some useful information on getting my words out of my notebook and onto the printing presses. Does anybody around here know anything useful?

That's part of the reason I have been withholding my work recently. I want to do something else with it. When I break the shelves and if I'm well recieved you can guarantee I will splash lovely exposure all over UD.
nauseamfromrum
Cicero

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »

get a copy of writer's market  i think. i always see tons of them at my library--so you probably wouldn't even have to drop any cash.

or you can go with self-publishing? or vanity publishing? i considered just paying a press to print my book(the one i haven't written) just so i could see what it would feel like, but then again you have to buy them in bulk and it comes with copyright contracts and such. i don't care so much about the implication that these new-found techniques are "bad for the reputation" because what the fuck is reputation anyway? if the writing's good what does it matter? just read a really interesting essay on how the wasteland basically got published before even getting read based on the gimmick that it would be the definitive "modernist" work to get the movement going. gottta go.
Jay
Percy Bysshe Shelley

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:09:07 PM »

My favourite fact about The Waste Land is that Eliot showed it to Ezra Pound in pretty much all stages of development, and apparently it is down to Pound that the Waste Land of the title is separated into two words. Pound was right, though: The Wasteland doesn't look nearly as good.

Still, back on topic...seeing your work in print is one of the greatest feelings there is.

nauseamfromrum
Cicero

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:16:12 AM »

i think the "traditional publishing world" is b.s. anyway. look what wins pulitzer prizes and stuff...the same old people writing the same old stagnant shit. it's like we are stuck in this "post-modernism" stagnation period where everyone wants to illuminate "every day" experiences and overuse "ambiguity" which i call the "please oh please give me the benefit of the doubt" school of poetry while everyone gives each other pats on the back with reviews. where's the visionary passion that poets once had?

here's a poem(or a snippet i dont know) from the latest pulitzer prize winning book The Shadow of Sirius by W.S Merwin:

somewhere the Perseids are falling

toward us already at a speed that would

burn us alive if we could believe it

but in the stillness after the rain ends

nothing is to be heard but the drops falling

nothing spectactular for the supposed best of the year--anyone on UD right now could have written this and they probably would have thrown it into the carnival.  you really think this  is gonna last in the public conscience for more than a few seconds?
and how 'bout that garbage that was recited at obama's inauguration?
Ploe
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »

I liked that garbage that was read at Obama's inauguration. But it echoed similar words and themes to what I was musing on at the time. I don't fancy being a prize winning author, I just want my words accessible so I'm not just preaching to nobody. The best way that seems is through the traditional route.
nauseamfromrum
Cicero

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 10:31:12 PM »

it would have beena bit better if she didn't read like a retarded metronome. 

and i've always assumed that the best route to get your words out there is to die with your manuscript strategically placed in the room.  Grin
Ploe
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:26:53 AM »

If I'm really desperate I might just do that.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »

Why not self publish, sneak you books into bookstores, and leave them there as if they were for sale?

I think, therefore I'm lost.
nauseamfromrum
Cicero

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »

how bout go one better and take book jackets off of other books and put them on yours. do this wiht populra books enough and you'll be getting unsuspecting readers. make the first poem count and maybe they'll read the whole thing before returning it to the store.

when i wsa like 10 i rented maximum carnage (spiderman videogame) but when i got home "family feud" was int he box--i gave it a try, and it wsa garbage so i went back and got my spiderman. maybe if family feud was good i'd have kept it. to this day i always check the box before i leave the video store though
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:49:06 PM by nauseamfromrum[wii] » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: