Unquiet Desperation
September 23, 2018, 11:48:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When Sonic Youth stopped their gig for U.D.!  (Read 9700 times)
Captain Ahab
Andy Warhol

« on: February 19, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »

.... I was there.

Amazing gig at London Roundhouse last september... some guys had thrown a few copies onto the stage durin the latter half of the gig and they landed right in the middle and Thruston and Kim were kinda playing around em, then a few songs from the end of their set, Thurston stopped and picked one up, read it a little to himself then held it up and said "for those of you who don't know Unquiet Desperation issue .... is out now!"

Didn't know anythin about this thing at that point, but got the vibe that it had a bit of a following as there was a lot of shoutin and stuff from part of the crowd when Thurston held the mag up...

Glad to have found the thing that stopped the mighty Thurston mid-gig...  long live the Youth!

anyone else there?
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »

no but i sicerely wish i was

Come Slowly Eden.
nell8090
Forum Staff
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »

regrettably i was not there. i would have sacrificed my only child if i could have been present for this!
luckily, for the sake of my future children, i'll be able to see something like this repeated again in the near future.
throw them to the stage! :-)
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 09:41:12 PM »

damn right!!!

Come Slowly Eden.
Captain Ahab
Andy Warhol

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:50:06 PM »

A while ago I was looking for footage of the gig online - there's a lot on here... somewhere... youtube and so on... as it was a pretty important gig ... anyway, I found some, and tho never actually found the moment where Thurston talks about U.D., you definately see em being flung onto the stage during a couple of the songs... one of em nearly hits the great great man on the bonce while he's jammin away, head down and hair all-over the place.

...and before you ask... I can't remember where these clips are! but I know they exist! .. i'll have look around..  If anyone finds the moment.. please let me know.  (jeeeeees this was one hell of a gig  Shocked)

Ahab x

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:52:58 PM »

bet it what!!!
mad axe grungers AND u.d.
perfection!!!!

Come Slowly Eden.
Abi
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »

that's just fucking brilliance!
keysersose
Ernest Hemingway

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 01:57:12 PM »

Nobody found a video of this yet? Have searched myself but no luck. Seeing Thurston brandishing a UD would be very cooooooool.

Keyserrrrr.

Under neon loneliness, motorcycle emptiness.
Captain Ahab
Andy Warhol

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:10:02 PM »

it was the finale gig - 1st september 2007...  and as i remember, after they'd played out the Daydream Nation album (the gig was billed as Sonic Youth play Daydream Nation, as in: the entire album, in sequence... they did, and then played a load of other songs too... it was after the album set).  I've got a clip of what is definately one of the mags being thrown onto the stage.  There seemed to be a small section of the crowd deliberately throwin them at the stage... to get the Youth to see it I guess: congrats to those guys hey.  If anyone's good at tracking things down: footage of the gig, or an audio recording must exist out there.  Kudos to the guy who finds it hey... >>Doesn't any of the staff here have hold of any footage of it ??  Huh
salvagemydream
Sir Isaac Newton

Robert Fisher

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:05:41 AM »

holy shit!

thats stuff of legend. i cant believe how much this zine has grown. its excellent

What I'd give to see the universe in it's entirety.
pease-smith
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 10:05:29 PM »

Anyone found this yet?

x
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: