Unquiet Desperation
May 25, 2020, 04:31:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you believe a higher power exists?  (Read 9316 times)
WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« on: June 08, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »

Do you believe God/Allah/Yahweh/Guru Baba Gee/Flying Spaghetti Monster/Higher being etc. exists? This can be anything from yes, to yes but I think he's screwing over humans, to no I think its a ridiculous concept. This thread is merely a consensus on the beliefs of fellow peers, not a judgement which is why I did not post this as a poll.

As I say, it's just a discovery for everyone. This is NOT a thread to argue over whether one's opinion is correct or not, but just to say yes and no, and to perhaps give reasons why, which I urge.

I will start with Yes, to Allah, because it seems to be circumstantial, evidential, and above all logical. I understand some may disagree, but remember this isn't an argument to please restrain yourselves.

Also, I do not believe that Allah is the conventional image of a God (invisible man above us all etc,), but I much higher being. In fact, I would say that the nature of God is incomparable, and inconceivable to our human minds. Allah certainly isn't the general image of a God, but something much more on a different level.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:05:33 PM by WA2 » Logged

Failed, again.
jrkulmer
Ernest Hemingway

The greatest threat to freedom is free speech.

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:47:51 PM »

I do not believe in any sort of higher being, but surprisingly for the very same reasons as WA2; Circumstantial, evidential, and above all logical. I also don't like committing to anything because I see both incredible futility and incredible potential in all things. Smiley

Next...

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams
sinister_miss_nancy
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:36:28 AM »

Yes I believe in some kind of power, though I don't intended to ever commit myself to one religion/God ect. I shall have my beliefs and they will always be there until otherwise proven. I don't feel the need to prove such a personal thing. What power over us, for want of a better phrase I don't know, I just don't think we can just be, we must have some kind of hand over our lives. Anything that just lets humans run the place we do with no intervention must really hate us.
Isaac
Gladiator
Virginia Woolf

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:27:16 PM »

I believe in the great Flying Spaghetti Monster, Ramen, in all his Pastafarian greatness. I was touched by his noodly appendage.
I don't actually believe there is a god that specifically created us for any reason. I think there is actually something outside the universes though. I find it hard to comprehend the idea that the universe is the only thing in nothingness, and that there was nothing before it. So i think something might have the power to create a universe, but humanity is just a side-effect of it.

"Imagination rules the world"
Stephen
Andy Warhol

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:08:53 AM »

flying spaggeti monster best religion tbh
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 07:56:28 PM »

I'm split 50/50. 

I think, therefore I'm lost.
WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:01:52 PM »

Your arguements?

Failed, again.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:14:20 PM »

My argument is that I'm incapable of such knowledge, therefore my beliefs are aligned with agnosticism.  I don't believe in the gods of any religion, but I'd like to believe in a higher power of some sort.  When I think of a higher power, I don't think of a god-like entity, but rather a system of laws the governs the universe.  If those laws are ever understood, then we will realize the god within us all.  Or something to that effect.     

Usually though, I concern myself with other futile questions like What is the afterlife like?     

Ploe
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 12:06:04 AM »

Higher power? Sort of. The God of Abraham/Allah/Flying Spaghetti Monster? No. The universe as one entity moving in a way we can't percieve? Definitely.
WA2
Emmeline Pankhurst

Degenerative Lucidity

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 03:30:28 PM »

As a side note, you could say that God/Allah/Yahweh/Any other higher power entity is the same as the universe as one entity mpoving in a way we can't perceive? But we'll save that for it's very own thread, coming soon. I need to read "The God Delusion" before I take James on.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:32:48 PM by WA2 » Logged

Failed, again.
Isaac
Gladiator
Virginia Woolf

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »

Is that what you believe??

jrkulmer
Ernest Hemingway

The greatest threat to freedom is free speech.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 09:32:03 PM »

Consider it lent. Grin

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams
Will
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 10:47:39 PM »

Earlier today I was reminded of the way bell peppers and onions smell when they are being sauteed.  Things like that tug on the deist side of my agnostic belief.     

carter
Gladiator
Cicero

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 11:51:56 AM »

No, ridiculous. Can see why ideas like this would have been needed thousands of years ago, when there was no explanation for the weather/our origins/natural disasters etc, but now? The human race should grow up and realise it doesn't need to sleep with the light on any more...

Carter 4 Maxxie Oliver
Isaac
Gladiator
Virginia Woolf

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 02:13:44 AM »

Religion usually just fills in the gaps of knowledge.

Ben
Gladiator
Virginia Woolf

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »

I don't think there is a God or higher power, because I can only believe in that which I have observed and analysed myself, or science has been recorded to conclusively prove. I don't believe in ghosts or an afterlife either, because, as far as I can see there is no reason for them to exist.

"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member"
-Groucho Marx
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »

I don't.
I told a Jehovah's witness so this evening has he interupted my tea and cigarettes.

Come Slowly Eden.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: