Unquiet Desperation
June 25, 2019, 05:49:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Null gets defensive over a touchy subject.  (Read 5169 times)
Null
Global Moderator
Sir Isaac Newton

« on: March 04, 2009, 05:21:11 AM »

What inspires the best literature in the world? To sum it up loosely I would say adversity. And what comes from adversity? I would say despair. Yes, the aching loneliness of a rut can inspire an imaginative mind to dream its escape. A young single mother once did this. Her name is J.K. Rowling.

Now I know writers and I know proles because I happen to be both and writers often say to me "Jack, you must be mental. Harry Potter is not art. It is mindless, Jack. For the masses."
But I say to that "What other piece of literature ever has enslaved so many minds all over the world? From different countries, cultures, hemispheres or religions? Not only children but the mass of men, and women, who dream of a better life. One that is more fantastic. Foreign."

I have met adults, who are not creative inspired by the Harry Potter series. Had their imaginations and their ideals fed. I have heard their endings to the series. All as equally fantastic and logical (some more fantastic). She hit a nerve that all the world's desperate are feeling. She gave them something. A sense of identity and belonging. Her work has fed and clothed people. More people than your work ever has. What has your work done? Nothing. You have not captured something so raw in your fellow man. All you're too busy doing is wrapping yourself and your clique in your aesthetics and your bleary bleak lives.

Do better.

the most painful but wonderful thing about literature is discovering someone else has managed to distill something better than you ever could.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »

I made someone laugh one time.  That's about it.

I think, therefore I'm lost.
hopeless zygote
Virginia Woolf

is that a coathanger?

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:46:59 PM »

What has your work done? Nothing. You have not captured something so raw in your fellow man. All you're too busy doing is wrapping yourself and your clique in your aesthetics and your bleary bleak lives.

Do better.

Nah.  I like my cynicism. 

Half crusty, half gooey, all love.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: