Unquiet Desperation
December 07, 2019, 05:57:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Artists  (Read 5037 times)
X-Force
Andy Warhol

« on: January 23, 2008, 01:54:51 PM »

If you really think about it, there's been aritsts at every point of human history, in one way or another, whether it was some cave guy called Og painting on the cave walls, a modern artist spraypainting a mural on the wall around Bethlehem, the viking poet recounting great battles past or the ancient Chinese scholar practising caligraphy next to the Great Wall

Face it, people need artists, always have, always will

We make the world a more colourful place, whether for bad or for good
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »

X-Force -

I have really thought about it, as you recommended, and I agree with you.

Like you say, people need artists; I would also say, however, that artists need people.

I also agree that artists make the world a more colourful place, whether for bad or for good. However, I would also say that people make the world a more colourful place, whether for bad or for good.

I ask you this: Are artists not people too?

Huh

Now he's the King of Drunks, and he sneezes too
Watch out Lester! Take it, Lou!
Join the monk! And the C.I.O.!
Tell em all that Tiny Montgomery's coming down
To say "Hello..."
X-Force
Andy Warhol

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »

Interesting point, of course artists are people, they're people who fill the social niche for entertainment, couldn't you say singers, actors, writers and photogrpahers are also artists?
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »

Good point. I could indeed say that, and I do say that.

Now, I ask you this ... are people not artists too?

Undecided

Now he's the King of Drunks, and he sneezes too
Watch out Lester! Take it, Lou!
Join the monk! And the C.I.O.!
Tell em all that Tiny Montgomery's coming down
To say "Hello..."
mentalpatient
Andy Warhol

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 02:17:11 PM »

art can come in many forms, so i suppose that yes performers, singers, etc are artists. IF THEY ARE INVOLVED in the creation of the outcome and aren't just regurgatating what they have been force fed.

and this can happen in tradtional art too (as in painting, drawing, gallery stuff). for example, someone i knew said of his artwork "i try to make it as marketable as possible). NO. NO NO NO NO NO.

true art is something that comes from the mind, heart, and/or soul.
carter
Gladiator
Cicero

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 08:44:29 PM »

Do people need artists? Yes. Do they know they do? Rarely.

Pretention alert, but artists fill the need for a connection with something other than our shitty lives. Even those that think of art as too high-falutin' for them - well, they need art too. We may not like it, but their soaps and cheap music fills the same need that some incomprehensible arthouse movie does for we that like to think ourselves above such things.

By that definition, 'The Young and the Restless' is as much art as 'Hamlet'.

Ahhhh - I think that one needs another thread.  Grin

Carter.

Carter 4 Maxxie Oliver
mark np
Sir Isaac Newton

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »

Now, I ask you this ... are people not artists too?

While all people have creative thought and the potential to make art, not everyone is as talented as everyone else.  We are all artists.  But we're not all good artists.

Likewise, while "high art" and "low art" may have similar reasons for existing, and I personally feel there should be less distinction between art and entertainment, there is certainly a qualitative difference among various arts.  It may be subjective, but I'd say lets put it to a vote as to whether Everybody Loves Raymond or The Canterbury Tales stick around for the next 500 years.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:09:28 PM »

For me i see the Artist as kind of the embodiment of Nietzsche's Ubermensch....The Human who through his Intellectual Prowess and Existential Suffering is somehow elevated beyond normal definitions of Humanity.....The Artist is an Outsider who through the derrangemnet of the Senses and disassociation with the Masses becomes 'something else'......And why does he do this?Becuase his own Suffering makes him question the Nature of Existence and drives him to make Interpretations.

Come Slowly Eden.
-ConclusioN-
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 12:04:37 AM »

An artist can be anyone who creates some sort of art, art can be anything from drawing to freestyle skateboaring

Quote from: MalcolmX
You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: