Unquiet Desperation
October 22, 2019, 01:59:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Banal,Vapid Ignorance....  (Read 13694 times)
Vix0r
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »

Oh, stop it with the bollocks. A watch is real. It is a material object for *measuring time*, it is not time.

That's like saying barometers aren't real either.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 08:12:35 AM »

Barometeres aren't Real.
They're figments in the imagination of meterologists.

Come Slowly Eden.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 01:01:35 PM »

Oh, stop it with the bollocks. A watch is real. It is a material object for *measuring time*, it is not time.

That's like saying barometers aren't real either.

But am I real my little Rapunzel ? Am I for real ? Well in your reality for maybe ? In someone else's for never ?
Ploe
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 12:44:04 PM »

For a subject on the ignorant we seem to be discussing the abstarct pretty well.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 05:42:07 PM »

But is the abstract real ? Or is it abstract ? And in a multidimensional state of being does it matter one paradigm iota ?

Answers on a postcard.
Vix0r
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 05:49:49 PM »

Barometers can be rather pretty. All wood and brass and dials and swirls. What is it about the past generations and beauty? Why do we have to be so bland and plain now? All this minimalistic stuff... It's awful.
Ploe
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 05:53:56 PM »

They also had plagues, poverty and plenty of famine. People decided to carpe diem I guess and make something worth living in... Or people are just decadent in other ways now.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 05:59:47 PM »

Barometers can be rather pretty. All wood and brass and dials and swirls. What is it about the past generations and beauty? Why do we have to be so bland and plain now? All this minimalistic stuff... It's awful.

Good socio historic point that Vixor. I think if you read up on it you'll find the Victorians had an obsessional fetish with COLLECTING from any source available and packing out and bedecking their homes with all manner of trifles and trinkets from butterflies in cases to stuffed elephants feet as wastepaper bins. Most of this I hasten to add not British or collected...rather plundered from countries abroad...up to and including human slave cargo.

21st Century I think is a spartan minimalistic kickback at the mindless aquisition of trash.

But you go your own way Vix...get accumulating if that's what you like  Wink
Vix0r
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 06:06:02 PM »

It's not that I want to accumulate and plunder, it's just that I lament what we have now put behind us in terms of styles and themes.

Before it was about grandeur, nature, beauty, elegance and decadence. There is nothing quite so beautiful as nature and so I have to admit to being a fan of Art Nouveau. The buildings were sturdy works of art, the paintings thought out and well done, the decorations beautiful and the fashion lovely too.

Society hasn't lost all the beauty but with minimalism being a strong theme it kind of boots all the rest out of the way. I could never be a modern girl =p
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 06:06:52 PM »

They also had plagues, poverty and plenty of famine. People decided to carpe diem I guess and make something worth living in... Or people are just decadent in other ways now.

And now we got....plagues (HIV, cancer, Altsheimers) poverty of sorts ...benefits class...dunno about famine but how many mass produced pot noodles can we face ?

And a gooding  afternoonness to thee Sir Ploe how art thou this fine day ?
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »

It's not that I want to accumulate and plunder, it's just that I lament what we have now put behind us in terms of styles and themes.

Mmmmm but I think that's always been around...a yearning and cherishing  for things "old"  be it Victoriana, Edwardiana,
or before as most of feel insecure in tghe uncertain present in which we live which in turn will becom,e te hyellowing antiquity of yesteryear
Ploe
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 11:11:31 PM »

Anything that happened more than ten years ago is quaint. It's as simple as that.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 10:49:05 AM »

Ploe the Holocaust aint too quaint!!!

Come Slowly Eden.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »

...Dunkirk, Dresden, The Somme, Paschendale, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, The Titanic, The Hindenburg, Krakatoa, Vesuvius, Pol Pot, Milosovitch,  Stalin, Hitler, Thatcher, the reruns of Baywatch & Eastenders omnibus...an endless catalogue of doom and despair
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »

Unspeakable horrors but,afterall, Belsen was a gas!!

Come Slowly Eden.
Ploe
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 11:18:23 AM »

Aww the good old days. Makes me pine for an era I didn't live in. =P
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »

Life for this era of misery!!

Come Slowly Eden.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »

Era of Misery Huh Misery shmisery...ya'd be more miserable traipsing the 1920's cholera ridden backstreets of  Newcastle....the killing fields of Cambodia...and how do you think those poor people in Pompeii must have felt ( hot and choking I shouldn't wonder) ?

Think Ploesy Vxn might have a word or two to say on this poetic obsession with MISERY.

"Misery ? ..No such thing," Uncle Barney used to say  "...not so long as there's a Woolworth's, a decent chippy, a bottle of Jeyes Fluid  free citibus, a hanging basket and a half ounce of Golden Virginia shag...Misery ? It's for shlameels "
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 01:04:58 PM »

So Oulde Nat,what are your plans for the day?

Bx

Come Slowly Eden.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 01:13:26 PM »

Entertaining and Edifying your good self Oh Dandy....Tea or something stronger on the patio at 4 ?
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful plan,my goode man.

Come Slowly Eden.
Ploe
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2008, 03:02:53 PM »

So Oulde Nat,what are your plans for the day?

Bx

Entertaining and Edifying your good self Oh Dandy....Tea or something stronger on the patio at 4 ?

Sounds like a wonderful plan,my goode man.

Don't plan meetings on my board please. Use Private Messages or Mobile Telephones.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2008, 03:18:02 PM »

Oh I see. And do I need your permission as to which blend of tea to bleeding serve as well ? Any preference on the biscuits ? Perhaps our Moderator could specify colour of tabelcloth as to whether it's appropriate and in keeping with UD corporate colours.

Call yourself a long haired net ferret with a rebel yelp ? You're showing signs of Sinister Multinationalistic Corporate Speak. Doubleplus Ringtons good comrade.

*aside*  (Bolshy we're being watched by these Literary Fascists...if you ask me UD is just another front for the New World Order. I don't think Ed actually exists...he's probably some sort of Davross Dalek Commander wired up to the site barking orders at Ploe to initiate his evil masterplan)
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2008, 03:22:09 PM »

Actually I just realised I've advertised an aspect of my social life on an international website.... Roll Eyes

We'll have to sweep the street for snipers now....
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2008, 03:30:12 PM »

Oh I see. And do I need your permission as to which blend of tea to bleeding serve as well ? Any preference on the biscuits ? Perhaps our Moderator could specify colour of tabelcloth as to whether it's appropriate and in keeping with UD corporate colours.

Call yourself a long haired net ferret with a rebel yelp ? You're showing signs of Sinister Multinationalistic Corporate Speak. Doubleplus Ringtons good comrade.

C'mon Goldberg...he said please.

I think, therefore I'm lost.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: