Unquiet Desperation
August 11, 2020, 04:08:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A little story...  (Read 3518 times)
Tiny Montgomery
Stanley Kubrick

« on: January 23, 2008, 01:44:42 PM »

Hello, here is a little story I have written, all by myself. It's not a very serious story, but if you read it, it will pass your time. Here it is. It's called....

"Ties."

At work that day David forgot to put his tie on. His boss Mr Huntslow pointed it out to him. Where’s your bloody tie, he said.
David said he didn’t know. He hadn’t realised he wasn’t wearing his tie. David had a lot of ties at home and he liked to wear ties because he thought they made him look professional. He wondered where his tie was.
You don’t know, said Mr Huntslow. Did you put it on this morning?
I think so, said David. He was trying to remember.
Mr Huntslow looked at him suspiciously. He was a fat man with a sweaty head.
Tomorrow, he said, I want to see you wearing your tie.
All right, said David.

The next day David made sure he put his tie on. It was a red tie with pictures of fire engines on it. On the bus to work David kept looking down, checking that his tie was still there. It always was. The other passengers looked at him a bit strangely, but he didn’t notice: he was too busy checking that his tie was still there. It always was.
He arrived at work feeling very proud of himself. He had been forgetting a lot of things recently and it pleased him that he’d remembered to put his tie on. When he saw Mr Huntslow he proudly held up his tie. I’ve remembered it, he said.
Very good, said Mr Huntslow. Where’s your bloody shirt?
David looked down. He was only wearing his vest. That’s strange, he thought. He wondered why he hadn’t noticed it earlier.
David, said Mr Huntslow. Are you going to tell me where your shirt is?
I don’t know, said David. I thought I was wearing it.
You thought you were wearing it, Mr Huntslow said. He shook his head. Tomorrow, he said, I want to see you wearing your shirt and your tie.
All right, said David.

The next day David arrived at work with his shirt and his tie. His shoes, however, were missing. Mr Huntslow had had enough, and called him into his office. Sit down, David, he said.
David sat down.
Now then, said Mr Huntslow. I want to know what’s going on.
What do you mean? David asked.
I mean I want to know what’s going on, explained Mr Huntslow. You seem to be getting very absent-minded recently, David. It’s not like you. You used to be a good worker. Don’t you like your job anymore?
Of course I do, said David.
Then what’s going on, David, asked Mr Huntslow. If you don’t mind me saying so, you look a bit tired. Is there anything you’d like to talk to me about? Anything you want to tell me?
I keep forgetting things, David said.
Yes, said Mr Huntslow. I’ve noticed.
I don’t know why, said David. If I remember one thing, I forget another. I’ve never been like this before. I don’t know what’s going on.
Are you under any strain at the moment? asked Mr Huntslow. Perhaps at home? Are you under any undue pressure at the moment?
Not at the moment, said David. I feel fine at the moment. He looked down at his feet, then back up at Mr Huntslow. My feet are a bit sore, he said. That’s all.
Mr Huntslow sent him home for the day.
Come back in when you’re ready, he said.

Three days later David’s telephone rang. He picked it up. Hello, he said.
David? said a voice. It was Mr Huntslow.
Yes, said David.
David, it’s Mr Huntslow, said Mr Huntslow.
Hello, Mr Huntslow, said David.
I’m phoning to see how you are, David, said Mr Huntslow. Are you feeling any better?
Much better, said David.
Well, that’s good, said Mr Huntslow. That’s a relief.
Yes, said David. It’s good to be back at work. I don’t seem to be forgetting things as much anymore.
There was a long silence. David thought he heard Mr Huntslow sigh.
Okay, David, said Mr Huntslow. I’ll phone in a day or two and see how you are then.
All right, said David. Thank you, Mr Huntslow.
Don’t mention it, said Mr Huntslow. Bye, David.
G’bye, Mr Huntslow, said David, putting down the phone.
He looked around his living room. It was a nice place to work.

Grin

Now he's the King of Drunks, and he sneezes too
Watch out Lester! Take it, Lou!
Join the monk! And the C.I.O.!
Tell em all that Tiny Montgomery's coming down
To say "Hello..."
Flying_whizzabe
Arthur Miller

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »

Thats Crazy, Sometimes I see people on the bus with no shirt..
I like how you repeated 'bloody' It made me think of a yorkshire accent.
moneycash
Michel de Montaigne

Rock the Biz

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:49:11 PM »

cute, made me laugh Smiley

/\-..~..$..~..-/\
Saika_Suzumiya
Virginia Woolf

Humans, even those that seem it, are not simple...

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 02:35:03 PM »

I agree with moneycash, it's quite cute! Aw, I just sorta pictured the main guy as a little kid

What A Piece of Work is Man! How Noble in Reason, How Infinite in Faculties, in Form and Moving How Express and Admirable, in Action How Like an Angel, in Apprehension How Like a God: the Beauty of the World, the Paragon of Animals!
(Hamlet, II, ii)
nell8090
Forum Staff
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:55:56 AM »

i thought that was quite entertaining. stylistically, i thought it unique to omit quotations. i am almost getting the impression that david is talking to himself...?
and great title!
loved it.
-ConclusioN-
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 11:25:08 PM »

LOL!

This was entertaining, always thinking whats gonna happen next, whats he gonna forget, good lil story.

HI Saika_Suzumiya

Quote from: MalcolmX
You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.
Flying_whizzabe
Arthur Miller

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 09:42:35 AM »

I wanted to re-read this again, Its still fun =]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: