Unquiet Desperation
July 17, 2019, 08:28:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
News: Post in our Creative Philosophy board... if you can.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What times do you write ?  (Read 8620 times)
Mr. Goldberg
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »

Just enquiring because last night I had  someone come round wanting help to finish their story at midnight...the "Pyjama Collaboration" finished about 2.30am with a pretty brilliant end product. Funny how at that time the creative stream (mine anyway) becomes a floodtide and we both mutually benefited from this quickfire exchange of ideas and narrative... pens burning paper, kettle boiling like a steam train on a nine track  and our eyes were shining like swords at the end...

I wouldn't make a habit of it but it just goes to show a little bit of what you don't normally do makes a bit more of what.... you...' fancy er typa thing...

Anyone else ?
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »

I like to write whenever I'm drinking alone. 

I think, therefore I'm lost.
The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 02:33:10 AM »

I write in alley-ways,In orgies(literally),in transit,enraptured....

Come Slowly Eden.
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:47:15 PM »

i write when least convenient. 

2 am. 

while showering. 

while "otherwise engaged" in certain 'adult' activities. 

3 am.

i write while trying to sleep.

i write while trying to wake up.

i write when he gazes into my eyes and burns my soul with his ill intentions.

i write when i'm pist and when i'm pissed. 

another glowing exit sign and me with no way out
simon nemeth
Herman Melville

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:20:50 PM »

i find i can't just go "right, now i'm going to write". It's a bit of a cliche but the moment takes me. Often its frustrating as i cant get a pen and paper out in the middle of work or family dinner (my family think poetry is "gay"). most of my work is lines on paper wrote at stupid oclock or whilst waiting for a bus. I then edit it and make some form of sense of it on my pc at home. just recenly i have found cafes where i can sit outside seem to help. Maybe its the people passing by that give insperation, or the caffine rush.
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 11:14:24 PM »

i also cannot just sit down and write.  the moment strikes me like a wild madness and i rush for my lucky pencil and scribble it out of my mind. 

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »

Know what you mean...it makes the antique boureu(sic) my folks bout me a bit of an extravagant wase,really...

Come Slowly Eden.
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »

indeed, indeed. 

though, i did write on my porch... twice this year.  yes, just 2 pieces.  (and about 1000 in the shower.)

~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 08:31:14 PM »

i wrote in the operating room.  i wrote over his sweet little face.  i wrote through tears that burned me.  i wrote through weakness.  i wrote through strength i gave my sister.

ahazura
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 06:30:48 AM »

I write at night like now, sometimes I write after I drink my morning coffee and have some cigarettes. I center myself to start the day. It normally all depends, its a bugger when I don't write though because I have what I feel is just perfect or something really smooth that I like and if I don't write it down right away it slips out of my mind. I can go in a store and you can tell me when I get out of the car what I am getting, I will go in the store and forget the item and not remember for about 30 minutes that I forgot an item I was asked to get. Anyways I write at all times but sometimes more late at night when my house is more quiet and everyone else is sleeping.
Will
Henry David Thoreau

Everything is Irrelative.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 02:01:43 PM »

its a bugger when I don't write though because I have what I feel is just perfect or something really smooth that I like and if I don't write it down right away it slips out of my mind.

If I had written down all the genius that has escaped my suffocating brain, I would have a whole book full of sadistic irrelevancies and pointless, uninteresting thought processes.  Maybe a laugh or two, but at least I'd have a book.  I'm thinking of buying a dicta phone to carry around with me.   

I think, therefore I'm lost.
ahazura
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 04:43:15 PM »

Yeah I can relate to that as well. I'm sure most of us writers can. Just start the book Will with what you have....
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 03:48:02 PM »

You know i got dictaphone tapes of me saying things into ferric oxide nearly two decades ago...i have no idea what I was on about. 
~vxn~
Herman Melville

beware the vxn

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 05:59:44 PM »

i've been writing in my near-asleep-still-waking phases.  that is hard.  i have to pop right up and try to scribble thoughts down before they disappear forever.

The Bolshevik Dandy
Pablo Picasso

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »

Kerouac said the best time to write was before breakfast...

Come Slowly Eden.
sinister_miss_nancy
Stanley Kubrick

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 01:13:57 AM »

I don't think writing before breakfast is healthy. I probably would completely forget about eating.

I'm losing all sense of time...I have a completely blank day and when twelve comes round I'm scribbling more down than my pen has ink-i've used up 3 pens already, and been going to bed at nearly ten to five for almost 2 weeks now. up for work/whatever at 6. Im dying, my fingers have fallen off and my brains starting to slip out of my ears in a watery sludge   Undecided ... inspiration abounds...iv lost you all now, I'll finish before I make myself disappear into the unknown depths of my ever deepening gorge...oh deary dear
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 11:49:37 AM »

Ahhh take a tip from Anthony Trollope my dear. Up at the crack he was...set his pocket watch to get in a couple of hours scribing before promenading along the streets to his 9-5 day job position working at a high level for the post Office.

Trollope incidentally is the man you have to thank for the inception of those red pillar Post Boxes you now see dotted up and down the high streets across Great Britain. An idea he imported from the French who had them before we did. He found time. He wrote. He worked. And he if not invented then "discovered" the post box for UK.
Mr. Goldberg
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 01:30:36 PM »

...been doin' a bit of reasearch on this for you Nancy and you may find some of this interesting:

Nicholas Monserrat and Sir Walter Scott both wrote from 5am in the morning. Monserrat was quoted as saying:

"Every day i write 600 words. No more, no less. Once I was a sit-down-and- wait-for-inspiration writer. That was in the beginning. Bit you need a rich aunt for that sort of thing. Now it just comes. It has to. If it's going badly I still do it. This is a factory, it really is."

"Write immediately while the impression is fresh"  - Dr. Johnson

This one, while not time related,  I found interesting:

"Never show your work to a friend: only to a teacher. A friend may tell you what you want to hear. Only a teacher can tell you what you need to hear"    - Mario Puzo (author of "The Godfather" )

Puzo also said : "the art of successful writing is rewriting"
This supported by the fact that Tolstoy rewrote the first 1,200 pages of War & Peace seven times and Hemingway once wrote eleven drafts of one of his stories.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: